VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the turbo and EGR cooler on my demo engine, if you find the article helpful please use the donation button on the forum and FAQ pages! Here are the 2 DIY articles. Because the engine was out of the car, there may be some additional steps needed like removing an axle or valve cover for clearance. If you do this, please take some pics or at least some notes to flesh out these missing steps, thank you!

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a6/egr-cooler-removal-crd.htm

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a6/turbo-replacement-cbea-cjaa.htm

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Hello. I'm new to the site and have been searching for info on removing the turbo from a CJAA TDI mk6 jetta sportwagen, with the engine still in the vehicle. I've not had any luck so far and wanted to post something on this write up in case someone has knowledge on that job and can shed some light on the task. I have the AllDataDIY subscription (so darn many "refer here" aspects) but I have some general questions it does not answer. I understand the turbo and exhaust manifold are one unit and have to be replaced as a unit... Correct? Does the unit need to be removed from under the vehicle?Does the transaxle or tranny need to removed/disconnected? Can the cool side of the turbo piping be removed to feel the turbine shaft play while still in the engine bay (verify turbo is failing at only 67000 miles)? Any precautions to be aware of in removing/replacing the turbo? Can quality rebuild parts/kits be purchased? Is the dealer turbo the only quality option for a turbo replacement?
My apologies if this is an inappropriate post on the write up.

·
Registered
111 Posts
They have the euro spec turbo and everything you need to install it. Might as well upgrade. Check out their Rawtek parts also

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's the value in upgrading to the euro spec turbo? Is it a performance upgrade? Explain please.
Before you upgrade the turbo, realize that the turbo is a supporting mod. You have to increase fueling through a chip and maybe a fuel injector upgrade, at which point the turbo becomes needed. On a stock engine with stock programming, an bigger turbo will do nothing other than slightly DECREASE performance because it takes a tiny bit longer to build boost. The other poster's car looks pretty modified - if you plan on future power mods, get a bigger turbo now. If you don't, don't get a bigger turbo.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
I figured it must be a performance improvement which I'm not interested in. Been racing and building cars, bikes, qtr midgets, and go carts better part of my life and understand modifications. Have no interest in dealing with that cost and maintenance on a daily driver. Thanks CCBB.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
CCBB, looking at your write up on the cjaa turbo removal it looks like removing the single torx screw holding the turbo inlet adapter will expose the turbine so I can feel if it has excess play. Am i correct about the inlet adapter giving access to the turbine?

·
Super Moderator
8,975 Posts
You have added to an old thread.

This is a new forum layout with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or or original similes. It doesn't show the car spec/location or signature properly either

We Are Live - Community Feedback

1 - 12 of 12 Posts