VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Chip tuning can remove it entirely. There is no easy way to bypass it like jumping a wire because otherwise it wouldn't be a very good anti theft tool would it?

If you have problems, why not post the error codes and what troubleshooting has been done so they can try to fix it?

·
Registered
159 Posts
So I tried the emergency bypass start with no luck. The car cranks but doesn't start. The fuel pump doesn't kick on and there is no spark. :(
You don't have an immobilizer problem. The immobilizer still lets the engine start normally, it just shuts the engine off after a second or two. Have you checked the fuel pump? Your profile doesn't say TDI so I'm assuming it's a gasoline engine. If the fuel pump doesn't kick on it could have died. If there's no spark and no fuel pump, check your ignition switch or maybe the alarm relay?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for chiming in. I have a 1.8T gasoline engine. The fuel pump relay clicks on/off when I cycle the ignition switch. Another clue, the tach will go to 200 RPM when I am cranking the engine.

Alarm relay you say...More researching.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a problem with my immobilizer (Golf IV '99), the key is faulty and a new one is gonna cost me €150 (that includes reprogramming). The key I can manage but the thowing is gonna cost my another €300 I can't afford right now. Is there a way to bypass it?

EDIT
Nevermind, found the immobilizer section, sorry for kicking this thread.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the help. I had to go to justanwer.com for a VW expert (I was stumped). After a few of hours of electrical troubleshooting, I found two ground wires under the battery tray that were corroded. Thanks VW - nothing like putting hidden grounds under a battery tray of a lead acid battery. :bangshead

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Thanks for the help. I had to go to justanwer.com for a VW expert (I was stumped). After a few of hours of electrical troubleshooting, I found two ground wires under the battery tray that were corroded. Thanks VW - nothing like putting hidden grounds under a battery tray of a lead acid battery. :bangshead
Thanks for the tip, I am starting a can't start article. That is a tricky one. But as you found out, if it doesn't start it's not the immobilizer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts