VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have just recently purchased an 04 Jetta PD TDI with about 127,000 miles on it. I got it from a dealer and they had no service records of the car. I want to know how to determine if it had a timing belt change or if i should just go ahead and have it done anyway. I know that the tensioner on the serpentine belt is rattling pretty loudly which I think would of been changed during the timing belt. My guess is that it hasn't been maintained properly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
cheap insurance to go ahead and replace the TB vrs the alternative of a crashed head (2500.00). Plus you'll have the peace of mind that your good for another 100k. Be sure to get a good complete TB kit w/all replacement bolts rollers and waterpump.
The rattling serp tensioner is probably caused by a locked up Alternator pulley it has a one way clutch in it and usually fail between 80-100k it easy to do on your car if you have the right tools.
I would also recommend that you get the cam and lifters inspected BEW and BRM motors have a history of eating cams.
Congrats on your purchase.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
It's possible it was never changed. If that is the case, it could be close to failure very soon. Have it changed ASAP. They can go over 100k but the longer they go, the greater the chance of failure. In addition to the alternator pulley it could also be a bad tensioner.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I always change the belt whenever I buy a car no matter what the previous owner says. I would be gutted if it broke (and broke:D). I've had it happen to me on an old diesel fiat years ago. One of the valves bent and imbedded itself in the piston then pounded the head till it was shaped like a banana. Scrapped.My motto is "If you're not sure, change it":eek: It's just not worth the grief.

·
Registered
15 Posts
amen brother if in doubt change it if it's documented it didn't happen
on a TB if the teeth on the belt are not round and have squared it's a very worn belt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts