VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Thanks, new to the forum, made it about half way thru your "how to" and it asked me to join, then post so I could view rest of the instructions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your removal details are excellent, but I can't get access to the installation details. I have a 1998 VW Beetle tdi, changed the waterpump and timing belt, but can't get it to run properly. It's on tdc, cam lobes in correct position and injector pump lined up, I'm at a loss.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Your removal details are excellent, but I can't get access to the installation details. I have a 1998 VW Beetle tdi, changed the waterpump and timing belt, but can't get it to run properly. It's on tdc, cam lobes in correct position and injector pump lined up, I'm at a loss.
Now that you've joined and posted, you should be able to see. Also, DO NOT USE THE BEW INSTRUCTIONS! Your engine is a 1998 and has the ALH engine and looks different. Use those.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having difficulty at the belt reinstallation. I'm to gather that I can take the cam locking pin out in order to get that stupid tensioner tab in its spot? Leave the cam lock in place? I've been fighting with the belt for about 2 hours now.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
new to timing belts

so I am new to the board i have found the informations amazing thanks for all the hard work. live in oregon in the us needing to do my first timing belt change and after reading through the detailed info I am looking forward to actually doing the project ....going to have to wait alittle I am going to get the kit from diesel geek expensive but looks like a well worth money expense thanks again
mark

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank for these write ups with pictures! Sounded like quite the PITA due to the engine mount removal and raising/lowering, but this tutorial makes that much less intimidating.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Great information! Thank you so much for putting this together for all of us. I'm about 3000 miles out from my first timing belt job (1st for me, but second for the car). 2004 BEW TDI. I wanted to read about the job to make sure I ordered the right tools and parts.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Question- when I click on the link at the top of this discussion for "timing belt removal" I get an error message that says the requested page could not be found. I am wondering if anyone else is having that problem or if it's on my end?

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Question- when I click on the link at the top of this discussion for "timing belt removal" I get an error message that says the requested page could not be found. I am wondering if anyone else is having that problem or if it's on my end?
Yea they redid site when it was sold and really messed everything up. You have to go to the premium members section and look through all the articles there to find it. They are not organized in any logical manner and most of the articles don't have working photos or illustrations so things like pin locations and timing marks can't be seen. We've all chastised the admins over this (admins not mods as the mods had nothing to do with it) yet we are still in the dark with no idea when and if it will be fixed. They say it was to make upgrades to the site but as far as I can tell there are no upgrades and now the site is essentially useless. Sorry man...

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Thanks for the information. Hopefully they get it figured out. I love this site. I have the Bentley manuals but sometimes that’s like reading a foreign language

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
First time on since the new website has been up and running. Hoping for access to the installation as i will be doing the TB on my '04 tomorrow. Your write ups are much better than others i have read.

·
Super Moderator
9,394 Posts
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

This is a new forum layout which is owned by a company 6 months ago that doesn't give a dam with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes. It doesn't show the car spec/location.

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a poll which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Keith, it looks like the second half of the timing belt removal and the installation pages are completely broken. Any way to get these pages/links restored? Typically removal is the reverse of installation and page 1 of removal has me 99% covered, but would be nice to read any more pointers or info that I can before undertaking the job.

Regards,
Aaron

21 - 39 of 39 Posts