VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
removal
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/vw-jetta-tdi-timing-belt-change-replacement-bew-engine.htm

installation
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f21/timing-belt-installation-bew-engine-jetta-2004-2005-new-beetle-golf-2004-2006-a-2977/

The timing belt replacement and removal is about the same on all pumpe duse single cam engines. For illustration, timing belt routing is shown on a BHW engine because the body of the car was in the way when doing the timing belt. Many thanks to the test subject for letting me take pics and help out. If they want to be mentioned feel free to speak up or otherwise remain anonymous.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Very nice, I will be attempting my second replacement this weekend and this will help a lot.

thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another guy posting to have access to the timing belt installation procedure

Thanks guys for the helpful procedures. I tend not to hang out in forums too much these days, but I really appreciate the hard work everyone does to make these site successful! :thumbsup

·
Registered
1 Posts
alh timing belt

Just finished the timing belt on my wifes 02 golf, only to find that i'll need to reset the timing for lack of specialty tools. Its smoking when i turn it over and not starting...which I've determined is due to incorrect replacement of the timing belt. Fortunately i know there was no interference with the valve train cause i did lock the cam sprocket and ip, onlu didn't use the vw tool. Once i realized it wasnt going to start i found this amazing instructional at myturbodiesel that has very nicely summed up what i have to do to properly set the timing. I didn't loosen the cam or the ip pulleys when tensioning the timing belt.i'm hoping that realigning everything, loosening the belt and loosing the pulleys, then tensioning the belt will then get the timing close enough to start.

This is my first vw diesel and i've seen alot about getting the timing of the ip professionally set even after a successful timing belt job. does anyone know if this is necessary or beneficial.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you use the pin and do it VW's way it'll be fine. But you should have it fine tuned just in case. Also, the last 2 posts are for the ALH engine...this thread is for the BEW engine...completely different timing belt. Make sure to read the ALH DIY, not the pumpe duse engine DIY.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
I have BEW and never needed to adjust anything after TB change.

and here is one question for everybody:

Let's say you need to change TB, and you didn't have any problems starting before that.
What would happen if, before removing the old TB, you mark tooth on the cam and tooth on the old belt with white paint mark, then do the same with the crankshaft. After that, remove the old belt and you are left with two white marks on the belt, and two marks on the sprockets. Put the old belt next to the new one so you can transfer the white markings to the new belt and to be 100 % sure count the number of teeth between two marks to verify. Then simply put the belt to match the marks. Then spin the crankshaft with a ratchet to make sure everything sounds smooth inside the block/valve cover.

This is just a question: Would this work? not a suggested procedure!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Timing Belt Tomorrow

Thanks for putting the info out there. I am changing the timing belt on my B5.5 Passat TDi Wagon in the morning and will get good use out of your experience. Thanks again, any tips or advise? I am doing the water pump and thermostat as well. We just had the hydraulic engine mounts replaced with the AR versions and the vibration much less now!

veedubjdub

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for putting the info out there. I am changing the timing belt on my B5.5 Passat TDi Wagon in the morning and will get good use out of your experience. Thanks again, any tips or advise? I am doing the water pump and thermostat as well. We just had the hydraulic engine mounts replaced with the AR versions and the vibration much less now!

veedubjdub
I see this is your 1st post, I suggest doing the oil pump gear conversion or even better, delete module. See the B5 FAQ for details and the B5 specific timing belt article, everyone without the BEW engine seems to be posting in this thread lately:dunno

1 - 20 of 40 Posts