VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shopping for a mattress and hope someone can benefit from my little contribution.

Mattress shopping is confusing on purpose, to the benefit of the store and commission based salesman. To help avoid price comparisons, the same exact mattress has 2-3 different names. Go to one store and the salesman will tell you that they only price X mattress, even though it's the same damn thing at the store down the street, only with a different name.

To complicate it for you, the EXACT SAME mattress is also available in another brand name. For example, sealy makes sterns and foster, their higher line. The S&F has gold plated (I'm not BS'ing here) corner guards and silk woven into the cloth (even though it'll be covered by your sheets and you will never touch or feel it). The insides are the EXACT SAME thing as the comparable sealy. The S&F also has 2-3 names, making a grand total of 6 models, all using the EXACT SAME insides but half of them are S&F, half of them are sealy.

Unless you have some problems, a latex mattress is the best for most people. The only con is that they cost more, a decent one starts at $1000, the best ones are about $2500 for a mattress + box spring. The salespeople always throw in some sheets and pillows and a cheap frame. Latex is the most breathable, mold/dust mite resistant, hypoallergenic, and they last longer than any other mattress. Springs work but transfer a lot of motion and wear out a lot faster. Memory foam reflects heat and wears out too. The other issue with memory foam is that all those commercials and ads you see? The consumer pays a SUPER premium price for the brand name memory foam, $2500-5000 is a rip off for what you're getting. For $5000 I would rather just burn the money and sleep on the ashes.

It came down to latex vs memory foam for me. If you have a certain type of back problem, get a memory foam and just deal with the high price and heat. For normal backs and other types of back problems, get a latex mattress. Memory foam relys on heat to work and as a result, the mattress will be hard in the winter and soft in the summer. Sleeping in it instead of on top of it adds heat (since you'll sink into it). If you're heavy, you'll also form a trough when you sink into it and you won't be able to turn or move around without some effort. If you're light it won't be a problem. It's an uneven surface for whoopy since you'll sink into it. Even the best brand name memory foam reflects heat and is not breathable compared to latex. Memory foam also gets a soft spot where you sleep, much faster than a latex. It will rebound but you'll notice that the foam is softer.

Body impressions are normal but sagging is not. Memory foam and soft pillow tops will take an impression a lot faster than a tight top or latex mattress. If you insist on a pillow top, get a latex mattress since it will resist impressions the most. Don't put a memory foam topper on top of a latex mattress since it'll negate the positives. I tried a new type of memory foam that is supposed to sleep cooler and is on top of latex but I think cooler means you sleep warm instead of sleep hot.

The cheapest latex model is just 1" of latex and the rest is cheap poly foam. The best value, much like most things you buy, is in the middle. But even the middle and high end models use good latex on the top and cheap latex on the bottom, it's just the way it is. Poly foam will sag over time, latex will compress only a tiny bit. Also, almost all the tallaly latex in the US is made at 2 factories. Sealy has 1 factory that makes their stuff and ALL other tallay latex comes from the same factory. Only certified organic latex doesn't come from those factorys. All the brands use the same type of stuff if it literally did not come from the same factory, the only difference is in the density and softness grades, and how much cheap poly foam they use. And even though a latex mattress is expensive (still cheaper than a brand name memory foam), talking to a few places and shopping around, the salespeople mostly own latex mattress and the owners of the local chain sleep on latex.
The only reason to still get a spring type mattress is a limited budget. And if you are happy and comfortable with a $300 king size mattress set, you'll probably be happy sleeping on a picket fence, no reason to spend any more than what is comfortable and will stay comfortable for years. But an extra $1000 spread out over a 20 year mattress lifespan is only $50/year for a good latex mattress, buy what you want!

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sealy Beachside, it's a plush latex mattress, full size.

Cost: $1400 before tax for the mattres+box spring, the salesperson threw in some latex pillows and mattress protector. Also delivery and takeaway of the old mattress.

This info won't be any use unless you are shopping soon, every 2-3 years they shuffle the names around even though the product is unchanged to confuse the consumer. The one below it is the tranquil sea and has only 1" of latex, the rest is cheap poly foam, this one is a full latex core.

I did a lot of my research reading this blog: http://blog.pennlive.com/mattress/ , he sells sealy but he also gives advice for other stuff too.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not a gimmick, latex will last longer than a spring mattress. It's also hypoallergenic without adding any extra chemicals. Natural latex is a bit of a gimmick, it's tree sap that is still processed using chemicals. The difference is that it will have a slightly different feel vs synthetic latex. Tallalay latex is a blend of natural and synthetic latex cured under vacuum and processed under hot/cold so it will be lighter.

In any case, get a mattress that you are comfortable with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts