VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone asked me by email how to adust shifter cables, here is an article on mk3 and mk4/5. The mk3 shifter is completely different but I just felt like putting everything in 1 article.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/multi/shifteradjust.htm

In the mk3 the common problem is hard shifting into first gear. The plastic linkage also breaks.

In the mk4/mk5 adjustment is easier. In the mk5 you do have to remove the engine air filter housing so the article is linked from there. I'll be the mk6 is very similar. The bentley says to turn the screw but I found a faster and easier way. It's also hard to turn it while pressing the spring. Refer to the writeup for pics.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Can you also include the manual's instructions? I am curious what it says and it must be a certain way for a reason.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I glanced it over and the service manual says to remove the center console, use a pin tool to lock the shifter (the one in the cabin) and adjust the shifter that way. My best guess is that this will get it right the first time. Dealers don't want you coming back with the same complaint.

The official way is to turn and lock the cable end, lock the shifter, and turn the cable end to a stop. I didn't fool around with it too much and from what I can understand, if you just need to adjust the shifter cable, just adjusting the end does the same thing with less hassle. Since you know where it needs to be adjusted, just adjust it 1 "thread" at a time. You can also sort of feel where the shifter in the cabin is supposed to rest.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Har Har :).

Yes. I haven't tried it in the mk4/5 but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same way. This is why VW has the push down shift interlock - so you don't accidentally select reverse. Other transmissions may have reverse after 5th gear but that's just the way yours is set up.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found a great video by dieselgeek showing how to adjust the shifter cables. It has been added to the writeup. Its size if fixed when in the forum but it's in high res in the article.

He follows the factory procedure which is great if you are installing the shifter assembly for the first time (it was completely off the car) but if you just need an adjustment I suggest just making the adjustment instead of locking it down and releasing the cable ends completely. This will cause you to completely reset the relationship between the shifter and shifter assembly. I saw a post elsewhere where someone said they had to do this 6 times until it worked for them so if your shifter just needs a small adjustment, just adjust it a little and it should work the first time.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp9ggefOjAE

1 - 8 of 8 Posts