VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I had a chance to carefully look at a Touareg and here is what I found. The pictures have been added to the http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/vw-touareg-tdi-dpf-audi-q7.htm

1. Remove the spare tire. You have to unscrew the middle holder.

This has also been added to list of complaints in the 2009-2010 vw touareg tdi buying guide and review article. If you have an injury or are a little lady, it's a hassle to remove the tire to add adblue. A conservative interval to top off the tank is every 5-7,000 miles. Or at least add a few liters every 5,000 miles and top if off when you do the oil change.

The BMW 3 series diesel has the adblue port in a bumper port, the Mercedes ML320 bluetec and the GL320 bluetec have their adblue port next to the spare tire, and the Q7 has it next to the fuel filler.

The adblue refill is included with 3 years/36k miles service on US VW Touareg TDI.

2. Pull the rubber cap off and unscrew the adblue tank cap.

Press the bottle down to start the flow of fluid.

Installation is the reverse of removal :)

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
And then, if you want to save some money on the AdBlue, save an empty 1/2 gallon bottle. Cut the bottom out to use as a funnel to to fill the tank. Get the 2.5 gallon jug of AdBlue, aka Diesel Exhaust Fluid, from an Audi dealer for $13.50; and use it to top off or fill the tank through the modified 1/2 gallon bottle 'funnel'.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you can't use a regular funnel to add fluid? All the videos I've seen show the person pushing the bottle down, is this possible with a regular funnel? Or is the pushing down to open something in the adblue bottle and not in the tank neck?

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
So you can't use a regular funnel to add fluid? All the videos I've seen show the person pushing the bottle down, is this possible with a regular funnel? Or is the pushing down to open something in the adblue bottle and not in the tank neck?
A regular funnel would probably work, too. The "pushing down" on the bottle is to open the valve in the bottle itself. The advantage of using the valved bottle is that you can remove any excess left in the bottle when the AdBlue tank is full. The bottle's valve keeps it from flowing out. With a funnel, it will run out all over the inside of the vehicle on the Treg. On the Q7, it will flow out the fuel overflow drain hole where it can be flushed away with water.

One other advantage of the bottle funnel is that there is a very fine meshed filter screen in the neck. That will keep any particulate trash out of the system.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/vw-touareg-tdi-dpf-audi-q7.htm

is the new link for the VW Touareg and Audi Q7 TDI. The original article was already 11 pages long without pictures so the article was way overdue to be split off. The new FAQ article excludes the info for the 2.0L engine and adds some under car pictures of the VW Touareg TDI DPF filter, the Adblue injector, and NOx catalyst.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I never bothered to read up on the new TDI but wow....they are complicated. Instead of limp mode complaints when they age you'll have exhaust limp mode complaints...

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Clogging. Someone from Europe must know what a clogged DPF feels like but I can't imagine a blocked exhaust would be very good for power.
If the correct fuel and engine oil is used, why would it clog?

There is a built in software program to clean it on a regular basis. There is also a specific procedure using the VAG-COM to force it to clean itself should it start to build up too much carbon.

I drove a MB CDI with a DPF to 70k miles without any problems of any kind.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Probably the final answer on Adaptation when adding Audi Q7 TDI Ablue fluid

I've been asking around various forums to try to figure out why adaptation has to be done and if it must be done every time more than 6 liters of Diesel exhaust fluid is added. After speaking with the head mechanic at an Audi dealership, here is what I've learned. It will go into the Adblue FAQ.

The beginning of the confusion was when Audi released a TSB that said you have to do an adaptation through the computer to let it know when fluid was added. Otherwise it wouldn't know and the no-start could be activated once the fluid ran out or if the car didn't think there was enough fluid.

You can add Adblue whenever you want on your own. It requires no adaptation. It will fill the active, main tank and any excess will drip into the passive secondary tank and burp up air. You do not need any special tools. The dealer uses VAS6542 (VAS 6542) shown below because it lets all the air burp out immediately so they don't have to wait. You do not need this tool.

If the low level light comes on you can add fluid yourself and it will go away. This has been confirmed by a few people.

One person said the low level light came on a few hours after the dealer service where they added fluid. First the first 1600 mile warning came on. Then the 800 or 600 mile warning came on. Then the 0 mile warning came on immediately. Upon restarting the car, the 1600 mile warning came on again but the car started fine because there was sufficient fluid in there.

I talked to a dealer mechanic and he said that you don't need any adaptation. The TSB was only for some cars but he couldn't remember why. He did say that there have been 3 software updates for the Q7 TDI so far and that (off his memory) one of them removed the need for adaptation. So maybe it was only early cars or cars that haven't gotten the correct software update yet.

If that is the case, you do need the adaptation.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Another little tidbit, based on experience.

My driveway has a pretty decent upgrade and my Q7 either gets parked with the nose uphill or down hill - no level spots.

I can get the AdBlue system to accept more fluid if the nose is pointed uphill. It somehow seems to pass its air and burp better when its nose is pointed uphill.

YMMV.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ablue warning light won't go out

I put about a gallon of adblue in and the warning light stayed on. I called the dealership and the chap I talked to said he thought the dealer had to turn it off. He also stated he really didn't know. I have 17,500 miles on the 2011 Touareg TDI and the service was at 10,500 miles where they supposedly filled up the tank. It is my understanding that the tank holds 4.5 gallons. Is the 4.5 gallon capacity correct? I bought a 2.5 gallon bottle and put in about a gallon of it....thinking that the free service at 20k would top it off. Should I go ahead and put the rest, risking an overflow and see if that cuts if off? Or does the dealer really have to shut if off? It says 1000 miles left, but I don't want to get stranded either. Anyone with experience with this? Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To the best of my understanding, the dealer does not have to turn the light off or adapt the value for the sensor. This was the case on a few early Q7 but was changed through an ECU flash.

I would top the tank off, you should be able to see the level. Please let us know what happens. At least on the Q7, if the light comes on, the brochure says to add 1 gallon (I would think 1 gallon is the minimum required to turn the light off).

·
Registered
41 Posts
OK, I emptied the 2.5 gallon jug into the tank this afternoon. The warning light is still active and says I have 800 miles left. I have driven the car around and just went back out to see if I am still being warned and I am. The warning light really hacks me off, but the real question is whether or not the car is going to quit cranking after 800 miles if I don't go to the dealer and have them shut off the light. This is a real problem in that a.) I don't want to take time to go to a dealer and especially so if I have to pay a service fee after warranty is gone. b.) I for sure don't want the car not to crank when it's got plenty of AdBlue in the tank. I wish I knew somebody's ear I could chew on at VW or America!!! Uggghhh.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well the light's out now. How did I get it out? Read the owner's manual. I missed this earlier. It plainly states that after you put in the urea, turn on the ignition for 30 or more seconds but DON"T crank the engine. Well I did that and after 30 or 40 seconds, the warning light no longer shows up. I feel relieved, but also foolish. Hope this helps someone else. Good night.

·
Registered
1 Posts
wanting to order my TDI

I've been waiting for the new diesels, first the Jetta, now finally the Passat. I drove the Passat Monday and that's when I found out it has the exhaust injection.

I don't want to sound dumb, but:

Is exhaust injection here to stay? Or, is it another "1970's air pump?"

Is there any issue with having to reset (dealer) computer when filling the VW's? or does it recognize the addition of fluid.

Is the warning triggered by a low fluid level or odometer readings?
If fluid level, would adding before it gets that low prevent computer warnings?

steve

visit us at: www.ocontoyachtclub.info

I've spent most of my money on boats, cars, planes and women, the rest I must have wasted!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts