VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
adding a cool movie about how they make forged wheels.

Forged is a way of shaping metal under a die rather than casting metal by pouring it into a mold. Much stronger.

The movie's 17 megs, so I am debating which folder to keep it under, but here it is, from rays wheels.

"right click, save as" is the best way to view it.

www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/rayswheels.mpg

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
cool. How is forging stronger?
Forging is like stamping metal under high heat/pressure with a die
cast is pouring molten metal into a mold

Forged metal has a uniform "grain"
Cast metal has more spaces

Forged wheels will be stronger and lighter than cast wheels, everything else being equal. But some forged wheels are heavier. The 14 and 15" lecastellte 4 lug wheels are forged but the spoke design uses a lot of metal. I know that the 15" is heavy for a 15" wheel because it uses a lot of metal,maybe 17 lbs?

Even still, putting some VW or audi cast 18" wheels is even worse since they're like, 20-23 lbs each!

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep, here is a picture of the le castellet from the vw/audi wheel gallery found here

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/wheels/wheels_overview.htm

it weighs about 17 pounds, which is a lot for a forged wheel. It's because there is a lot of metal there. The 14" le castellet weighs less. My cast 15" wheels weigh only 12 lbs mostly due to the spoke design. Of course, there are also spun rims and semi solid casting which is like a poor man's forging. I haven't figured out where to put it in the faq.

It costs a heck of a lot to make the dies, etc for a true forged wheel. My 18" forged rays engineering wheels on my other car weigh only 18 lbs which is light for 18" but each wheel cost about $1000 each new...(I bought them used ,no way I am paying that)

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've seen le castes and they are painted silver, those look polished.
yea those are polished quite nicely I might add...

I am thinking of having a member's only section where you can access all the cool media, etc. to cut down on hotlinking without without adding anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts