VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a puff of smoke when I start the car and sometimes I can see smoke in the rear view mirror. Sometimes it's a lot, sometimes it's a little. How much is normal? 04 golf

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Some smoke on start up is normal. Some smoke in the rear view mirror is normal when you stomp on the throttle. Under regular driving, no. If you can't see the headlights behind you, something is wrong - either overfueled or leaking/burning oil.

D

·
0 Posts
2nd, some smoke is normal with diesels. When you stomp on it, it overfuels for a second.

J

·
0 Posts
From what I hear, some pumpe duse cars, 2004+ just puff more smoke on startup too.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Some smoke on start up is normal. Some smoke in the rear view mirror is normal when you stomp on the throttle. Under regular driving, no. If you can't see the headlights behind you, something is wrong - either overfueled or leaking/burning oil.

Or you haven't wiped off the dirt on your rear view mirror.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
you can try turning down the fuel slightly and check the fuel injection timing.

make sure the timing is okay and reducing the fuel will both help reduce smoke

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
PS, you need a vag-com to adjust the injection quanity (IQ).

Basically, there is a value called injection quanitity. The higher number means less fuel. Even cars straight from the factory can have quite a variance in IQ. By raising this value, you can reduce fueling which reduces power and smoke. If you can find a vag com the owner should know how to do this.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
The problem in this thread may be related to overfueling, your car may be the same. Even a small change in fueling can greatly increase or reduce the noticable smoke.
A small change in your right foot can too. I've found that smoke is highly subjective. A small grey cloud is normal. A noticable black cloud might be overfueling by a tad or it mightbe normal. If the headlights behind you disappear by 75%, then you are definitely overfueling.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts