VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I braved the cold today to wash my TDI and discovered the center portion of the lower plastic grill had been neatly punched out. I can only assume it was someone's trailer hitch bracket in a parking lot. There is only a tiny ding on the fins only of what I assume is the intercooler. That was a stroke of good luck.

I plan on buying a new one from the dealer. How hard is it to replace? Is the center portion a separate part from the sides that hold the turning lights? Should I have the dealer replace it? I am not a mechanic but am reasonably competent with tools.

Thanks,

Frog. (could'a been worse)

·
Registered
278 Posts
That sucks. A trailer hitch should be higher no?

There are normally screws or clips that hold the grille. Look around the edges for black screws or clips. I know that the foglight grilles come out so maybe the screws are underneath those.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I first though small animal, but no fur or feathers, noted no "bump" while driving, and there is a very small rectangular dent in the fins of the intercooler radiator just visible under the left (your left) license plate bolt. It is just visible in the photo. Of course some jealous soul could have whacked it with something, but that very seldom happens. In reality, I do not know what hit the car. I am forever thankful it did no serious damage to the internals.

·
Premium Member
9,661 Posts
Well the parts diagram doesn't really show any fixing screws/bolts it just looks like they push in.

Vent grille satin black/high chrome - 5K0 853 671 RYP - £63.98

or

Vent grille satin black - 5K0 853 677 A 9B9 - £31.16

I will post a picture if I'm allowed. ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keith,

I would love to see what the one with the chrome looks like so I can decide which one to install. This may turn out to be a good thing as I would never replace a perfectly good black grill with a different one, but now I must replace it anyway. Of course, I am not sure the chrome trimmed one is even available on this side of the pond.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
"sportriderseattle" replaced both his top and bottom grilles with the chrome versions. They do look nice. He said the bottom was a pain to get off.

sportriderseattle's car with chrome

·
Premium Member
9,661 Posts
Well those part numbers are USA which I would think are the same for Euro models.

There you go chrome strip grille pic from ksing44. I think the chrome strip is another part number you just clip on. ;)

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
There you go chrome strip grille pic from ksing44. I think the chrome strip is another part number you just clip on. ;)
Like the top grille, sportsriderseattle said the entire grille has to be replaced to get the chrome accent for the lower grille. He said they are different parts.

·
Registered
135 Posts
yup, yup, yup. lower grille is a pain. I had mine replaced with the chrome trim ring (it's the Euro or Highline model grille) There actually is a separate chrome trim ring only but you can order that entire grille w/ chrome ring in one part number. I had a VW authorized bodyshop install mine. It took them over an hour and they broke one tab on the old one coming out. They had to put it up on a hoist, take off the plastic skid pan and both fog lites.

I had it done a second time recently as my damn grille broke to pieces as well after an asphalt shingle hit it on the freeway. This now completely convinces me that VW used inferior plastic for their grilles. These things break VERY easily. In comparison I hit a dog on the freeway at night in the poring rain with my old 2001 Ford Focus at 70 mph, the impact was dead center with fur in the grille and that Ford grille held together like steel.

Freaking VW garbage....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old post for my first post... I've been trying to remove the lower grille on my 12' Jetta TDI but I can't seem to get the tabs to release. Any advice for getting the grill off without damaging it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
How much does the lower grill part cost in USD?

I just pranged mine with a shovel as the car was buried in over 2 ft. (.5M +) of snow. :-( I didn't hit it hard but the plastic was brittle from cold.

I assume it is about 1 hour dealer labor to swap in a new one. Correct?

Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts