VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a bottle of Stanadyne lubricity foumula today. It has a very strong odor, and if it leaked in the car, one might never be able to get rid of the smell. The label also says to store above 32 degrees. How do you carry, measure and store this stuff on a regular basis? :confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I leave it at home (in the shed) until I need to fill, then I keep it in a plastic bag with a funnel and spare plastic beaker to help pour.

-b

·
Registered
19 Posts
Can anyone recommend some good fuel additives and how often you should do it? I looked for a thread the other day but I didn't see anything that was a list of additives, frequency of use, and user opinions of said additives.

So, not to hijack this thread, but when you handle your additives, what brand and how often are you handling it? :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm using an old 8oz Stabil container to ensure I have enough PS for 2 fill ups. I wrap that bottle in paper towels and put it in a 1 gal ziploc bag. I then put that bag in the left hand pocket that closes.

Power Service white bottle here

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use empty 5.25 oz. Lucas fuel injector cleaner bottles that I save after dumping the contents into my Dakota pickup. Fill 'em up to the bottom of the neck w/ Stanadyne and you'll have exactly 4 oz., just enough to treat a full tank (14 gal.) of diesel fuel. The cap seals tight and the long neck makes pouring into the tank easy and spill-free. I always have a full one in our Golf and so far my especially odor-sensitive spouse has no complaints. I keep 'em in the right rear door storage pocket, w/ a box of cheap latex gloves--both the additive and the fuel itself can stink when you get the stuff on your hands!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also--here in upstate NY it has been well below freezing nearly every day for the last 6 weeks, and so far no problems w/ storing the Stanadyne in the car. My understanding is that it is the only diesel additive endorsed by VW, and at least it seems to work at preventing fuel gelling.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am going (and am) to use a lubricity additive every fill-up I have a chance. once down to a 1/4 tank I fill and add. To date I am using Stanadyne lubricity additive, and I will order Opti-lube or Soyshield. I think it would be wise to some type of lubricity additive at the least. But, the the Opti-lube has additional benefits.

-b

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ronbruce, I see you and I were thinking along common lines, for the exact same reason. I love the spare nitrile gloves idea, and am going to have to add some of those to my kit as well

·
Registered
17 Posts
I hope I'm not too off topic for this, but can anyone confirm of any adverse affects of putting more than the recommended amount (+/- 6oz for Power Service Diesel Fuel)?

i might have put too much by accident during my last fill-up - by looking at the bottle hashes on the side, I might have put like 10oz.

tia!

·
Registered
100 Posts
The only additive approved by VW is the Stanadyne Lubricity additive, period. Be aware that there are two different versions of this additive: one is more diluted so that an 8-ounce bottle treats 15 gallons, the other is full strength so that 1.8-1.9 ounces treats 15 gallons. Also, while I haven't read the specific VW tech bulletin (Stanadyne gives the bulletin number on their web site), it is possible that even this one "approved" additive may only recommended/allowed under a very specific set of circumstances...rather than having an all-out, blanket approval. I wish I had access to that tech bulletin as I'm curious about how specific it is...

·
Registered
53 Posts
To be clear, VW does not recommend any additives for CR engines, and some dealers will state using any additive will void your warranty. Other dealerships say they are just fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Adding Additives

I use a turkey baster for measuring the correct amount of additive. It is easy to get out of the bottle without spilling (no funnel action). I keep it and the aditive container in a big zip lock bag for transporting, but store it at home unless I am on a long trip.

·
Registered
100 Posts
To be clear, VW does not recommend any additives for CR engines, and some dealers will state using any additive will void your warranty. Other dealerships say they are just fine.
From Stanadyne's website: The VW service bulletin number is "VW p/n ZVW 340 001 is SAC 32938".
I have no knowledge of the content of this bulletin. You are probably right about it not even pertaining to CR engines. So, to all here who are additive-determined...use any at your own risk.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I hope I'm not too off topic for this, but can anyone confirm of any adverse affects of putting more than the recommended amount (+/- 6oz for Power Service Diesel Fuel)?

i might have put too much by accident during my last fill-up - by looking at the bottle hashes on the side, I might have put like 10oz.

tia!
You should be fine. All it will do is give your IP and injectors a thorough cleaning. If your worried about it just top off the tank to dilute it.

I regularly double does PS in my F250 6.9 IDI truck as well as add 8 ozs of 2 cycle oil for lubricity. It actually reduces injector noise. Not saying you should use 2 cycle though!

·
Registered
3 Posts
If your main concern is lubricity, and if you have access to a source, then B100 is your best choice. I add 1 qt of B100 to each fill-up, which yields a B2 blend in my tank. This is below VW's B5 maximum, so doing this doesn't break any of VW's rules.

Also, studies show that you get all the lubricity you need from B2; that is, going up to B5 doesn't improve lubricity much more than B2. Even B1 is sufficient.

If NYS ever mandated biodiesel in all of its pumps like PA does, then I'd stop adding B100 myself.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Can anyone recommend some good fuel additives and how often you should do it? I looked for a thread the other day but I didn't see anything that was a list of additives, frequency of use, and user opinions of said additives.

So, not to hijack this thread, but when you handle your additives, what brand and how often are you handling it? :)
Like sgoldste01 says, I'd also recommend adding one quart of B99 / B100 for lubricity per fillup. I also like Power Service - Diesel Kleen for its cetane improver and detergency package plus its readily available. I'm sure there are other additives that are fine.

What I do is buy about 3-5 gallons of B99 at a time (depending on my expected mileage over the next 6 months or so) and dump about one quart in AZ 42 ounce tea bottles. I then add 4 ounces of the PS-DK to each tea bottle. I store the bottles in a cool, dark place and always carry one or two in the trunk and add one bottle per fillup. On long trips I've carried 10 bottles in the trunk. What I like is that the neck of the bottle fits perfectly in the filler tube. There is no leakage or dripping when dumping it in the tank. There's no need for gloves. Before the AZ tea bottles, I tried other methods to add the B99 and PS-DK and they were all somewhat messy. I've been doing this for over 20k miles now and there has been no issues with the bottle and lids. The screw lids are plastic with plastic seal and stay tight and you can put the bottle on it's side and there is no leakage.

And besides, the Arnold Palmer Half/Half is good tasting.:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
What I do is buy about 3-5 gallons of B99 at a time (depending on my expected mileage over the next 6 months or so) and dump about one quart in AZ 42 ounce tea bottles. I then add 4 ounces of the PS-DK to each tea bottle. I store the bottles in a cool, dark place and always carry one or two in the trunk and add one bottle per fillup. On long trips I've carried 10 bottles in the trunk. What I like is that the neck of the bottle fits perfectly in the filler tube. There is no leakage or dripping when dumping it in the tank. There's no need for gloves. Before the AZ tea bottles, I tried other methods to add the B99 and PS-DK and they were all somewhat messy. I've been doing this for over 20k miles now and there has been no issues with the bottle and lids. The screw lids are plastic with plastic seal and stay tight and you can put the bottle on it's side and there is no leakage.
I've looked for these 42 oz Arizona Ice Tea bottles, and haven't been able to find them. :dunno

1 - 20 of 32 Posts