VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined forum to see if I can sort out a problem with my girlfriend's Golf Turbo Diesel 54 plate - I'm not too up on what model it is, but I do know it's the first of the newer shape Golfs around 2004/05. It's 5 speed and I'm fairly sure it's not the fast 2.0 litre one.

Cold starting is not a problem, but when attempting to re-start the car after a short break (say 5 mins) means she has to sit chugging away at the starter for a good 10-15 seconds.

It's done 120,000 miles and had a service approx. 5000 miles ago (inc. fuel filter) she does use supermarket fuel but I do put in a bottle of cleaner every month or so. She has had the car from almost new and has never gone over 70mph or been anywhere near the red line on the rev counter. It has been serviced EVERY 6000 miles from new and has never had a problem - still on the original clutch/exhaust etc.

The battery is fine, slow starting is not the issue, the engine turns over well but just takes a long while to start.

Has anyone any suggestions please ? (just seen I have mispelt the title - the car has hot starting problems NOT staring problems !!)

Thanks in anticipation.

Nick

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
Welcome to the forum Nick. welcometomyturbodies
(just seen I have mispelt the title - the car has hot starting problems NOT staring problems !!)
Yes I would think Chitty would change that for you when he comes around later.

You've also mispelt Car: Golg TDi 2004 which you can change.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum Nick. welcometomyturbodies

Yes I would think Chitty would change that for you when he comes around later.

You've also mispelt Car: Golg TDi 2004 which you can change.
Thanks for the welcome Keith, I do type too fast so typos are a common occurrence. Thank you for pointing out the cock-ups, I will see to it later.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
I Hear the starters they used in Europe had a bad design and when hot they might not make the 250rpm cranking speed to fire over.

You could disconnect the coolant sensor next time see if it fires right up.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
I also think that your ECT sensor is giving false info. to pcm. Try to find chart somewhere where you can compare temperature vs resistance for ECT sensor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts