VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. this is my first tdi, 1999 jetta 5 speed and i just picked it up a few days ago. the previous owner said the owner before him replaced the injection pump and also "turned it up". he had drove the car right before i got there. when i test drove the car it drove mostly fine with the exception of a nasty bucking that happend when i turned onto a street and was around 1800 rpm. the only way to get rid of it was either more throttle or put the clutch in. now that the car is home ive been driving it around the neighborhood but it seems like the bucking has gotton worse like its going to shake the car apart. Unless you give it more throttle. it is ALOT faster than my friends alh 5 speed wagon but should be stock other than what the PO said about the injection pump. it doesnt blow a ton of black smoke. There is no codes other than a stored maf code but the cel wasnt on and i cleared it i dont know anyone with vagcom but is that where i should start? the only other real issue with the car is the flywheel sounds like its going to explode with clutch out in neutral and the clutch chatters pretty bad but the PO said he changed it five months ago. im not knowledgeable with diesels and would love to learn. any help is appreciated.
Thanks-Mike

· Registered
135 Posts
Yea, the vagcom (VCDS) will help with this. The IQ could be way out, but doesn't usually cause issue at 1800 RPM. As a patch 'em up job, you might fix it by turning the idle up a scosh using Adaptation.
But there are several things might be causing your issue, clogged air or fuel filter, failed dual mass flywheel, worn out parts, even bad wires/connects..
Older diesels can often use a can of Diesel Purge run straight into the injection pump.
Rev the engine sitting in the driveway, if it sounds like something is flying apart, could be that flywheel.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, the vagcom (VCDS) will help with this. The IQ could be way out, but doesn't usually cause issue at 1800 RPM. As a patch 'em up job, you might fix it by turning the idle up a scosh using Adaptation.
But there are several things might be causing your issue, clogged air or fuel filter, failed dual mass flywheel, worn out parts, even bad wires/connects..
Older diesels can often use a can of Diesel Purge run straight into the injection pump.
Rev the engine sitting in the driveway, if it sounds like something is flying apart, could be that flywheel.
I ordered a luk dmf kit and motor mounts that ill get done as soon as they come in. also a friend of mine actually does have vcds and hes going to stop over this weekend so i will update when this is all finished (i hope)

· Super Moderator
232 Posts
I ordered a luk dmf kit and motor mounts that ill get done as soon as they come in. also a friend of mine actually does have vcds and hes going to stop over this weekend so i will update when this is all finished (i hope)
Jettanite, do you have results or answers on this yet?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts