VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
The prius has everything to do with it. It was the first mainstream hybrid and people will only see that the insight looks like the prius. We all know it's just the aero ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
great looking car, I prefer the honda look over the Toy-yoda look. They were trying too hard to look different and that set them up to be a target. you don't see Ford Escape hybrid backlash.

·
Registered
90 Posts
40 mpg, does anyone else remember when regular cars got high 30's mpg? The old 80's civics got at least 40s and weren't sports cars but that was a different time.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I was thinking that the new Jetta TDI is more comparable to the Honda Insight than the Prius. Here's why:

Honda and VW tend to make more driver oriented cars. Lighter feeling, more tossable, better styling.

Similar price: a base TDI sedan is $20k since you can buy them at invoice (and under invoice), so is a base Insight.

Fuel economy: mid 40s is expected.

Prius is more dowdy, more expensive, more image, and more controversial.

·
Registered
64 Posts
True but the average person thinks diesel = dirty and sooty, hybrid = clean and Al Gore.

And I heard Toyota will make a smaller hybrid based on one of their cheaper cars to compete with the insight. Putting that drivetrain into a smaller car should really equal more mpg!

·
Registered
90 Posts
That's why they need to bring back light small cars. You can't ignore the laws of physics. You don't need massive horsepower to drive well, a 90 horsepower mkiii Jetta is proof enough of that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts