VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Procedure continued from part 1: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/HID-retrofit-Jetta-a5.htm

Insert pin 11's wire from the right headlight into Plug A, pin #5. Looking at the plug end (not the end with the wires), #2 has a yellow wire with blue stripe, #3 has a white wire with violet stripe, #6 has a black wire with green stripe. An illustration is below. Put the right headlight's pin 11 in terminal #5 on plug A. Press the pink lock in to lock the pins.

Make sure that the pins are fully inserted into the plugs or else they won't work. Look at the pin from the plug side to verify that it's in all the way.

Repeat with the left headlight's pin 11 wire for Plug D, pin #6. Verify the wiring for your specific model and year in your factory service manual wiring diagrams; your car may be different!

Put all the plugs back in the CECM and slide the red lever to lock all the plugs. Replace the plastic cover under the steering column.

Route the wiring someplace where it won't rub through or shake. Splice the ends coming from the CECM to the headlight plugs.

Replace the battery and air intake box. Reconnect the battery.
All installation methods continued here
Plug your ross tech VCDS cable into the OBD2 port and start VCDS software. Click on central electric.

Click on "Coding" and then click on "Long Coding Helper". You will see the screens below. NOTE- these codes are for my CECM only! Your CECM version and the exact code you see may be slightly different. When you change the checkboxes on your car and the software will copy/paste the correct numbers for your car in the "New coding" box when you exit the long coding helper.

Make sure the checkbox that says "Daytime Running Lights (North America)" is unchecked - this will disable DRL. It's bad for the HID ballast to run at reduced power. This will change the string of yellow numbers at position #1. Side note - Scandinavian daytime running lights also turns on the rear tailights. It's the same as turning the headlight switch on except the instrument cluster lights won't be on and the headlights won't be at full power.

If you ran the wire from pin 11 on the headlights to the CECM, also click "Xenon Headlights with Shutter installed". Copy/paste the code to the previous screen which says "New coding" and click Do it! It should say that the coding was accepted. This will result in both low and high beam xenon.

If you didn't run the wire from pin 11 to CECM to activate the shutters, press the right arrow to go to "Byte 3" and make sure "Xenon Headlights without Shutter installed" is checked.

The 2010 Jetta has mk6 electronics and a different CECM. Here is a screenshot from a 2010 Jetta. Also note the Front foglight box and the cornering lights - this will light one front foglight on the same side as the turn signal and if you're at slow speeds.

Copy/paste the code to the previous screen which says "New coding" and click Do it! It should say that the coding was accepted. This will result in xenon low beams and halogen high beams. I believe when you switch to high beams, both xenon low beams and halogen high beams will be on.
You may notice the box byte 17 and uncheck "Deactivation of Additional High Beam with Bi-Xenon". It doesn't do anything unless your cluster is set to UK. See 1000q: high beam halogen with high beam xenon for details.

Turn the headlights on and try testing the shutters (if installed) or high beam function by pulling the control stalk to flick the high beams. If it works, unplug the VCDS and turn off the ignition.

The 2 lower torx T25 screws that hold each headlight have adjustable 19mm stops to adjust the headlight position. Turn them with a 19mm wrench to adjust the headlight housing. Try to put it to the same position as the old headlights or have them adjusted to point the headlight inwards and down.

Replace the bumper
Aiming the headlights

Turn on the headlights while parked about 10-15 feet away from a wall or garage door.

Each headlight has 2 adjustment 6mm allen screws. The inner one adjusts vertical only. The outer one adjusts both vertical and L-R position. If there's a plug in the center which fills the allen hole, pry the center plug out. First adjust the outer one, then adjust the inner one. Adjust the left headlight a little lower and inwards vs. the right headlight. This prevents blinding oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you for the excellent description. Will this procedure work for 2010 jetta or golf tdi? Do those have the same wiring and control modules? Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the mk5 FAQ list there is another article .pdf with specific notes for the 2010 Jetta. Not sure about the Golf but it should be the same (different modules though)

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello,
I have a 2006 jetta tdi with low-line cecm. can i purchase a high-line cecm and code it in? then add the #11 shutter wire?

thanks!

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hello,
I have a 2006 jetta tdi with low-line cecm. can i purchase a high-line cecm and code it in? then add the #11 shutter wire?

thanks!
YES.

With the lowline the HID bulb will still work but the shutter will not. The high beam will be halogen. With the highline the shutter will work and both low and high beam will be xenon HID. You have to decide if running the wire and buying the CECM is worth it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have an 2006 jetta and i purchased the oem projector housing off the GTI. I was reading your install and i am planning on doing the same thing but with the adapter. One question i had was did you use the oem ballasts and igniters or were they aftermarket

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow thanks for all the work you've put in your "how to".. really appreciated..i've done tons of search and yours is one the best on the internet. As you can see this is my first post since i actually signed up to see the part 2. But i also have a question..

Ive bought oem projectors, the 12-10 pins adapters and i'm going to buy an aftermarket kit hid.. probably the morimoto since they seems to be the best.. anyway.. just wondering where do i get my "power signal" from??

From what ive found guys doing hid on h7 put 2 terminal on the adapters at the bulbs.. but found nothing from ppl doing aftermarket hids on oem projectors (d2s)

:thumbsup

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IMHO if you're going to stick an aftermarket kit HID in, buy aftermarket projectors since they won't require any mods, adapters, or pin swps. They'll be setup for aftermarket kits. I've tried playing with the stock housing and I'm guessing you get low and high power signal that normally turns on the headlight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for your answer, can you elaborate the low and high signal which turn on the headlights thing?

I already bought the oem projectors and 10-12 pins adapters so ill have to find a solutions.. thx again

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Normally a trigger wire turns the aftermarket HID kit on through a relay. See this article for basic idea : http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/b5/HID-install-DRL-disable.htm I only did low beam on that car but I guess high beam is the same. On the OEM housing the high beam projector housing is aimed pretty high. On oem install the low-high beam are same bulb but you can't do that unless you figure out how to rig the trigger to the shutter motor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I hope you can help me with the following:

I own a Jetta 09 Wolfsuburg edition and plan to get the OEM HID headlights.
I did a review of my CECM using VDCS and I was not able to find the "Xenon headlights without shutter" neither the option "Xenon headlights with shutter".

I'm pretty sure I was in the right section since I was able to deactivate the DRL.

Someone advised me that the new revision on the VDCS do not have that option anymore?
I don't plan to operate the Bi-xenon, I just want HID in low beam and regular hight beam.

Can I just go ahead and connect the HID headlights without any VDCS coding?

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the informative posts.
I have a 2008 VW rabbit (Canadian specs) that I would like to convert to HID projector housing.

There are two problems:
1) My car doesn't have a level sensor connected to the front or rear control arm. On top of that, there are two control modules (qouted $500 each list from a dealer) that have to work with the projector housings. Something about distance control

2) I would like to retain the DRLs. Is there anyway to rewire the DRLs to work just like stock GTI models (the inside light is DRL and highbeam)

Thank in advance
Regards,
Andy

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1. I omitted the level sensor retrofit. You can add it but as you know, $$$. Wiring+module+sensor = not worth it to me.

2. Depends on highline, midline, or lowline CECM. You can use VCDS coding to set fogs as DRL if you have a highline CECM module. I'm pretty sure my DRL were the HID which is bad for the ballasts so they were shut off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry for the noob question: what is VCDS coding? I don't have any OBDII tools or scanners, does this mean I will have to go to the dealer or a shop to finish this install?

whats CECM?

In terms of the DRLs. I've inquired about the OEM GTI DRL's and they are low voltage high beams. Now based on the reading material (and if I understand this correctly, OEM GTI projectors have a flap t hat switches from low to high beam) both the high beam lens (used and DRL in the GTI) and the flap in the Low Beams turn on during high beam operations.

If this is true, can't we simply rewire a diode or a resistor to turn the high beam lens on during DRL's operation? It seems simple enough, or am I missing something.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts