VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, i have been searching for a few answers on google with regards to a problem i have with my passat and this site came up and i found a few posts quite useful in helping my knowledge about passats, but i am still seeking a little bit more help.

I have a 1999 (v reg) passat s tdi. 1900cc.

the problem i have is that it is running quite well on a flat road, then it feels as though the car pulls back, and slows down, but it is as though the car is trying to go but nothing is there, something is stopping it going full pelt. it also slows down on a hill and really doesnt want to go up the hill. if im driving along and give the key a quick off n on, its as if something is resetting and it all kicks in and quickly picks up speed...although a garage said to try this i was told tonight never to do it!..

before this problem i have been sat in the car when it is doing 70mph up some hills, now its lucky to get 20mph, sometimes it will catch up a bit and start to pick up speed, usually towards the top of a hill. it is usually a flying machine!

it has been put on a diagnostic reader, it comes up with a map sensor fault.

the map sensor was changed, still no different. so sent the map back, tried a map direct from volkswagon, still no different so that was sent back.
i have been told since that when the map is changed it should go to volkswagon and be reset. i dont know how true this is, but a few have told me now.

i bought an air mass meter, not knowing it had already been changed, i have even had it cleaned with electric cleaner stuff, not sure what its called.

we have tried taking the maf off and where we were getting 2000 revs, it went to 4000, but not sure of this as i wasnt in the car at the time.

tonight now, my mate came with me to take it for a run and see what it is doing, he says it isnt changing the gears quick enough, sometimes i can go quite a distance with foot to the floor and the gears dont change. ease off just a touch and you can hear it change. it also seemed to pull up hill a bit better when i was trying to show him, then it decided to play up again.

i have now been told that its probably the transmission fluid needs draining and re-filling and to re do this after about a week so it has 2 flushes to ensure a good clean out. so far, with different things and tax and mot, i have spent out £260 on it in the last few days, i am banging my head against a wall, everyone who has been in it to see whats happening is saying its something stupid and probably aint much needed to fix it. but being a woman driver and a single mum i am fast running out of money and patience to get it sorted out. it is a cracking car usually, i have been in this car when its been at its best and i love it. i just hate not knowing what to try next with it. my dad is onto me to just take it and sell it in the auctions or to scrap it but i just cant bring myself to give up on it. please, if there is anyone here who could help me, how ever much info you may have that could help, could you please post your advice, i will check back often and as we are ruling different possible problems out, i will keep you all updated so as maybe this post could be of use to another member in the future. the life of my car is hanging in the balance here, i dont want it to go to the scrappy, its got to be something really simple wrong. hopefully anyway!.
p.s, i am new here, so i really hope i have posted in the right place.
thank you to all who has made this forum a useful place to come to, i have been reading on here for the last few hours now and feel i know my car a bit more than i did earlier this evening.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
You are getting limp mode. This is when the car runs OK at times but suddenly cuts the power. Or you could be in permanent limp mode which is causing low power.

At least you know it's not the air sensor. Look through the checklist that Seatman posted (thanks) for checking low power and go through them yourself or have a helper go through them. Some tools like a vacuum pump can be purchased very cheap online. It's possible there's also an EGR fault. This displaces the intake air which causes an air sensor fault. More likely is vacuum lines and loose hoses or boost leaks.

Is it an automatic?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
thanks for your replies, yes it is as though i get a loss of power, the turbo seems ok, when the car is going the turbo is kicking in, i took the kids to school this morning and the car seemed to go better than it has been for some time, last night my mams other half took apart the air flow meter and sprayed contact cleaner in there, and on the plug when he put it back on the car. so i dont know if that has done any good to it now its had chance to work through it or what, but i guess the only way to know 100% is to take it on a good run. my mate said to check the transmission oil is cherry red and no smell and that the level hasnt dropped. im not sure if this could cause the problems im having but i shall be ruling this out later today. the car seemed to pull up the hill this morning and was willing to go faster but i had to ease off to get through a tight spot so need a good run at a hill to find out.

thanks for the links, i shall have a read through them now and post back to you if it seems any of the links are pointing at what im getting problems with, thanks ever so much, finally found a forum that has people who will answer you!...xxx

·
Registered
107 Posts
Good luck! VW tend to be finicky and you have to take care of them to stay reliable. For all you know it just needs some hot and hard runs to burn out carbon buildups. FYI, VW ATF might not be red.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Good luck! VW tend to be finicky and you have to take care of them to stay reliable. For all you know it just needs some hot and hard runs to burn out carbon buildups. FYI, VW ATF might not be red.
It sometimes seems like it's the newer ones that are finickity and the good old dogs just trundle on lol. Or am I just having a lucky spell?:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, so far so good. 1st of all, as i said last night there was some contact cleaner used to clean the bit inside the air mass meter, the car seemed a little better today after doing that. then tonight now, my mate cleaned out the intercooler, it had oil in there, loads of black gunk came out of it, i have noticed a fair bit of difference, and i was told to put my foot to the floor, i said i had and my mate said right, push a bit more and it went down a little more and whoooooshhh, the car flew!. only thing is now though, since last night when the contact cleaner was used, when the car is going at speed now, it sounds like theres a load of wind blowing, i was told its nothing but it dont sound like nothing to me. sort of as if theres either a gale outside the gar or the blowers are on, im not sure if this is right or not as i have only had this car since it has had a problem. my dad said if i can get it fixed i can have it and i love the car so much i just sold my car to get fixing on this one. its my little dodgem, stop and go, park and ride...lmao x

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are getting limp mode. This is when the car runs OK at times but suddenly cuts the power. Or you could be in permanent limp mode which is causing low power.

At least you know it's not the air sensor. Look through the checklist that Seatman posted (thanks) for checking low power and go through them yourself or have a helper go through them. Some tools like a vacuum pump can be purchased very cheap online. It's possible there's also an EGR fault. This displaces the intake air which causes an air sensor fault. More likely is vacuum lines and loose hoses or boost leaks.

Is it an automatic?
sorry, just noticed i hadnt answered your question, yes it is an automatic. thanks for your replies.x

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
It's probably worth checking the air intake and turbo pipes are all securely connected. When messing around in the engine bay it's easy to forget to retighten something like an air pipe clamp etc. Maybe get someone to have a listen under the bonnet/hood while you give it a rev.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What was the problem?

Looked at lots of these threads that never seem to have a solution at the end. Does everyone just sell their cars when they can't figure out the problem?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Taking it to a guy with VCDS. Next week. I'm pretty sure the previous owner sold this vehicle because they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts