VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi have 98 acc 2.0ltr non deisel non turbo vw transporter van, just put the reco'ed head on the block,
and now trying to do the timing.
been at it for a 2 weekends as i dont have time during the week night due to work,
I've got the piston on tdc , checked distributer and it is inline with the line on the rim of distributer on no.1 spark plug lead, on the cam the first lobe is pointing upwards while 2 lobe i think is on its side.
still cant seem to start the engine , i have a feeling the timing is still out or the possition of the cam lobes are set wrong.:confused::confused:

any help would appreciate it .
thanks

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
No marks for the cam and crank? Does the cam have a slot at the far end the same as the tdi's? Check that the rotor in the distributor is actually aiming for #1 HT lead, is that thing injected or carbed?:)

welcome to the non tdi section of myturbodiesel lol:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
forgot all about the mark on the the teeth of the cam gear, It looks like T I 0 letter T with a I mark and then a O im assuming that would be tdc for the cam when aligned with the backing plate (backing plate that sits between the cam gear and head), so it would be facing upwards ? .
i cant see any markings on the crank unless its behind the pully on the actual crank gear.

its injected.
ill fiddle around with it again, and see what happens keep ya's posted hope to get some help where needed
thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
There'll either be a mark on the actual crank sprocket or the flywheel which will probably be a tricky sod in that thing, there might be a mark on the pulley that aligns with a mark on the belt cover too, as for the cam the 2 lobes at the belt end should point up in a V configuration i would've thought.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got it started :nana2:, cam was not lined up, timing was out.
while it was idling the revs were going up then down, not shore why:confused: , odo meter, rev tacho,water temp etc... not working while engine running,lights,indicator and dash lights work , fuses looked fine from what i could see, the van was was given to me for around $200 with a blown head gasket, i thought why not get it going and turn it into a camper van, when i got the time :D .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts