VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2004 TDI wagon, 180k, PD, and I have other friends with TDI's. I love how my car gets great fuel economy but runs like a freight train at 100+ mph on open highways.

Unfortunately, as of last night it gets 0 mpg. It lost power and threw a giant smoke cloud on the Golden Gate bridge, had to have it towed back to Santa Cruz. The reason I am joining this forum (I am also a TDI Club Member) is that the quality of the DIY's and site is amazing.

I initially thought that my problem was a turbo bearing failure, because of the amazing smoke cloud (which it still may be). When I looked through the threads on this site (while in the tow-truck), someone mentioned the intake hose blowing off is an early indicator of lifter failure;something I noticed but I blew-off, since the car was running fantastic. I looked at the threads further and I have that creepy feeling of doom....

Today's mission will be to poke around to see what killed the car. I will share what I find out on this forum, although I doubt I could post anything as good as the DIY's I have seen so far.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Hi, welcometomyturbodies. A lot of us are learning as we go and some have just learnt more than others. Have a good look through the faq as you might well find the answer to your problem in there. I think there's probably more than one possibility with your car so I wouldn't worry to much just yet.:)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I will share what I find out on this forum, although I doubt I could post anything as good as the DIY's I have seen so far.
Please do, and the DIY that I put up can't cover every possible problem and model. That's where user contributions help, users like you :)

The intake hose could just be worn quick-connect tabs. If they're worn down that is another possibility.
welcometomyturbodies

1 - 3 of 3 Posts