VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I need to replace the flywheel and timing belt on my 2006 TDI. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Elmo

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,654 Posts
ive heard horror stories of using a SMF, how does the gearbox cope with the extra vibration?
The DMF is all bull they've been making diesel engines for years without undue vibration. The DMF is supposed to reduce vibration even more so why does my clutch pedal vibrate and they say thats normal? Come back the SMF. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, that is really good instructions with pictures on the timing belt, I was not able to find anything on the flywheel? here are 2 pictures of my timing belt with 220k miles on it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I can tell the belt isn't new because of the dust but there really isn't any way to tell if it's about to break.

You say it has 220k miles on the same belt? your 2006 has 220k miles? Wow, where are you driving!?

Look through the FAQ, 1000q. Then look for the mk5 how to list. There's a writeup there on how to remove the transmission, take it from there.

·
Premium Member
9,654 Posts
Well you could have added DSG to your car spec, it saves posting 6 replies before you tell us? ;)

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Hi, I also have 2006 TDI DSG which seems to need a new flywheel... do you have any updates on this post as I'm also looking into do this myself...

·
Registered
482 Posts
It's a common problem. You can slide the transmission out slightly and replace it without fully removing the transmission. I know Chitty is looking for someone to do a writeup on it ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts