VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering about the weight of the DSG's, [VW DSG (direct shift gear transmission) and Audi S-tronic FAQ]. In this article it says they are a lot heavier than slushboxes. Does anyone know the weight of the early VW or Audi DSG transmissions and what the latest DSG's weigh now?

Cheers my two cents

·
Super Moderator
9,579 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

Why do you want to know the weight are you thinking of doing some weight lifting?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Here are some examples of the Golf weight.

2994 (2 door manual)
3041 (2 door auto)

Therefore, the DSG probably weighs an additional 47 lbs, or 20 kilos for you upside down weirdos! Also, this is kind of a technical post so moved to general and renamed.welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Transmission weights

Hi Chittychittybangbang,

Thank so much for your reply, muchly appreciated. I have read a heap of posts and you answer so many with so much knowledge....it is amazing.

I used to own lots of bugs (loved them), and with my excess, made beach buggies and off-roaders, great fun.

My question about weight was an attempt to figure out the trade-off over weight and kms per liter, or miles per gallon. I have also heard a bit about the reliability of DCT's/DSG's and it is not all good, considering the cost of the units. But I have never owned one to find out and would love to know more before going that way. Personally, I love the old manual gear stick a bit much, it is probably the most reliable unit on any motor vehicle I drive, usually everything else breaks or wears out first.

But as fuel prices rise and the missus wants another vehicle, and a trip to visit her mother being just over a 1000 kms, one way....... we need to take all costs into account. The new TDI's certainly look the part. Either those or the Audi, which seems quite impressive.

So anything I can learn in your great forums will be a real bonus. I cannot really trust the dealer hype about what they are selling as most do not know what is actually under the bonnets of what they are selling. And we can no longer sneak around the back to talk to the mechanics, (tried that and got told where to go lol), actually finding you guys is heaven :)

Anyway - thanks again for taking the time, its almost midnight, nap-time. Regards :bowdown

·
Registered
97 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Hey it is only money and you can't take it with you.
I own two diesel vehicles. One is my wife's 2011 Jetta TDI and mine is a 2008 Dodge Mega Cab 6cyl Cummins 6.7L engine. This will cost me between $100 and a $125 US to fill up, 34 US gallons tank. The truck will get around 12 MPG when pulling the 5th wheel. Planning a 3K trip this summer.
Be glad that the Jetta will get at least 40 miles to the gallon US on the highway, once it is broken in.
Jim W.

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
Another consideration with regard to weight is that you'll be losing more weight in the form of money leaving your pocket every 40,000 miles for the DSG fluid change...

Yuri

1 - 7 of 7 Posts