VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi from a new member with a mk4 tdi golf (2000) as you may gather by my user name.
Now I have found this site as I am on the nett looking for what may be my problem with my golf, so I am hoping you guys may know or be able to point me in the right direction,
the story goes... over 2 years ago I bought the car vandal damaged as salvage, put a new front screen in it, two back lights, brake light switch (missing?) and had a few bits painted, one cheap car for the wife,
I drove it down and got it MOTed car drove nice, gave it a blast to see how it went,
I was just getting it going and puff a large black gush of smoke out the back and the car was then holding back, would not seem to go over 3200rpm while driving although it would rev full with no load ie out of gear. ( no lights on the dash) car drives nice up to 3200, always turned over a lot before it starts, hot or cold, any way as the wife was just running it to work and back only some 4 miles and stuck in traffic I thought I would see how she go on with it.
Now over the 2 years + we have had it, it has had a service ( local garage) timing belt, water pump,clutch fitted, the garage did comment on the running and had a look at the pipework and the pump in the tank to see that all was ok, I told them not to worry as it was just the wifes run around. It does not smoke at all ,it only ever did this the once, has about 95k miles on, as I say we have been using it over two years like this,
the problem is now you see she is getting a newer car, so I am getting the golf, now no way can I live with this slug, so come on lads what is wrong with this motor? all help more than welcome.
Thanks Mick.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Take a look at the low power checklist in the FAQ section. Many things could cause it. The most common:

vacuum or solenoid control problem
boost leak
sticking turbo or actuator
MAF sensor

Read the FAQ article on how to inspect all of these and if you're stuck on any step or need more advice, please post a follow up and we can help. Also, post moved to mk4 technical.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply,
Yes I have been in the FAQ section all afternoon !
I am 1st going to take it and see if it has any codes on it,
I will also have a look under the hood and see if I can see and pipes loose.
having had a 2nd look at the car,
it has the service now light on, when you 1st turn the key.
I will keep you posted with any codes or further info I have.
Many thanks Mick..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the car scanned today, and was told that it was the boost pressure sensor?
He wiped off the fault and told me to try the car,
It ran perfect for about 5 miles then clicked back onto what I think is the limp mode,
I called back round to see him, he said to get and fit the new boost pressure sensor,
and he would re set it again, and that would be job done.
I am now about to start looking on the net for this part.
Thanks Mick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts