VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya, what's up? I was looking around online because I am having a problem with my 2002 Jetta 1.8T. I got the car with an aftermarket alarm key system and my original vw key wouldn't even unlock or lock the doors.(I DO have the original flip blade key and extra valet key plus the radio code) I left my car in the garage for awhile but in the meantime the aftermarket alarm transmitter broke (battery leaked and board got corroded). So now I need to get my car back up and running but I can't. After some research I found out how to activate my original flip blade key and now my original key is able to lock and unlock the doors, but I'm still not able to start my car. The only luck I had was that I was able to unlock and start the car with my aftermarket transmitter once before it really died , so I don't think my issue is mechanical. Other then that I really need to get my baby up and running and I have thus far tried leaving the key in the iginition in on for awhile . I plan on discharging by taking out the negative lead on the battery and holding the brake down but I'm not sure if that will work because I replaced my Jettas battery with a brand new one right before i ran into this problem.

Thanks for hearing me out guys, ANY help with this would be really appreciated. Thank you !

·
Registered
278 Posts
What a mess. Can you uninstall the aftermarket system? The car already has an immobilizer, why did they put on an aftermarket alarm system?

I'm not sure what your problem is, "the aftermarket alarm transmitter broke....So now I need to get my car back up and running but I can't." Unless you know how the aftermarket system is wired, how can anyone else help you since the problem is the aftermarket system? There should be some sort of relay box under the hood or behind the dashboard but it sounds like you need to uninstall this thing or contact the manufacturer for tech advice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, yep your right it is a mess. I think they put it in for the remote start capability. AT the time I was eager and he offered to uninstall it and I said nah. Now I am stuck with all the original keys and skc code and I reprogrammed the remote to lock and unlock but the blinking alarm led is still there and I can't start the car. I don't know if its the immob now or the aftermarket system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The aftermarket key is this one http://www.remote-superstore.com/webstore/details.php?id=11802&back_ref=index.php?cat_path=47_63&page=1 ...but now I am confused because this seems to be just a remote which I already learned to program. I can't find any information that says if it comes with a module that overides the default system, but I do remember that I was fooling around once and the car tried to start remotely but would cut off plus I think the machanic mentioned there was wiring to it...So this is going to be a pain in the ass. But assuming I can remove this aftermarket thing. Would I be able to just reprogram my original keys and have it work?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Hi, I would contact the manufacturer regarding tech support. If it's interfering with the start it's possible that you would have to bypass it to get the car working like OEM. My guess is that there's a box somewhere which relays the immobilizer signal and some wiring that starts the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, I would contact the manufacturer regarding tech support. If it's interfering with the start it's possible that you would have to bypass it to get the car working like OEM. My guess is that there's a box somewhere which relays the immobilizer signal and some wiring that starts the car.
Heya, your right I pulled the panel out and took a look and it has an audiovox as-tcbm Remote Start By-Pass Module. I got the box out and what not but I am at a lose to where to re-wire everything.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
You would have to check the wiring against a wiring diagram for your year. There were slight changes to the wiring over the years like wire colors.

My guess is that the relay box has wires for power and ground. It somehow copies the immobilizer signal or has an original immobilizer chip inside that they had to sacrifice a key for. This is how it bypasses the immobilizer. It also may have wires for the ignition switch or wires for the starter to start the car. Any advice from the maker?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yep the box has a slot for a spare key to insert to. Its got to wires spliced into the box. I unraveled all the electrical tape that seemed to be done when it was installed and saw that a bunch of wires were cut from the harness. its a mess of wires, when the aftermarket box only has 2 wires going into it and they seem to be coming from the steering column. I think I found one wire but I can't be sure. I tried calling audiovox to get my hands on a manual at least but they aren't open plus it looks like their service sucks. I am still looking around the net to see if I find a wiring diagram for my 2002 jetta 1.8t. But you seem to pretty much already have a clearer picture of the situation , more so then me. Thanks for your consideration on the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts