VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O6 Jetta with BRM, 5spd, slight tune, new cam, stock
Problem1 - Hesitation off the line with lots of black smoke, feels like no boost, then after 3 seconds or so, lots of boost and rather normal performance. This was only happening once a day or so but has gotten much worse.
Problem 2- May be related to problem 1. The egr linkage at the actuator is very sloppy and has soot all around that area. I have been getting fumes in the cabin and I assume this is the source.
I checked the turbo actuator by applying vacuum to it. Starts moving at 3.5 inches and is completely open by 16.5 inches. Movement was smooth. I have also inspected all vacuum hoses and IC hoses. Nothing jumping out at me. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks to all.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
camshaft timing? You need VCDS to view this value. How many miles? The new cam sounds like the TB was just done and should be in good shape.

If you take the intake hose off, does the turbo compressor move smoothly?

It does sound like there is a big exhaust leak since fumes+soot stains=evidence of leak. I would fix that first since as you hinted, the exhaust is going out a leak instead of powering the turbo. FYI, the EGR is most open at idle.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, just did TB, cam, lifters, cam timing (vcds) etc. Just got a response from Kermatdi.com. It is common for the the EGR cooler to leak at the linkage which produces a loss of pressure from the turbo. So my hesitation is probably related to the leak. So parts are ordered and I will post my results in 4-5 days. Thanks for responding

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem solved, here is the response I got from Kerma Tech Support:

1 - EGR leak
2 - Replace cooler. Known issue with the BRM. Loosen downpipe v-band (do not remove) remove bolts from cat, swing dp/cat back & remove right axle to access. Yes, it is as much of a pain as it sounds. We can provide the latest and greatest part number to replace it with for the low-low price of $300. EGR delete - none that we sell or endorse. Also, BRMs with blocked EGRs drive funny at part throttle.
3 - remove accordion hose, turbo inlet elbow & replace o-ring. VW dealer for this part. Also wipe the oil off the compressor outlet hose from time to time to prevent oil from accumulating on the EGR cooler coolant hoses. This is all normal.

Hesitation - it caused by the pre-turbine exhaust leak caused by the leaky cooler. This blows boost pressure and exhaust driving pressure into the engine bay.
New EGR Cooler installed and it runs perfect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts