VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got a day off from work and decided to do the timing belt change on my Beetle. I'm stuck on how to get the motor mount support(the one attached to the engine)out of the way where I can get the tensioner and timing belt off. The directions stated to work around it but the mount has an extension on the back side(long bolt goes through) that will not allow me to manuver it in a position where I can remove the tensioner or the belt. The belt is off the crank and cam gears but there is not enough clearance to get it past the extension on the motor mount. Same deal with the tensioner. Do I need to remove the stud the tensioner mounts on? I've tried raising and lowering the engine to the extremes in both directions and still no success. Appreciate any info on how to proceed. Thanks a lot. Don

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I did my timing belt change about a month ago and I took the mount clean off. all three bolts out.
I had to maneuver the engine (a series of up and down movements) to get the mount out (with the 3 mount bolts out of the block but still resting in the mount).
It seemed as though the mount would only come out and go in one way, so you may have to play with it a little bit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. The long bolt I took completely out but the other two I did not have the clearance to slide out. The frame kept them from sliding out. Did you lower the engine very much to get the mount to come out? Maybe I didn't lower the engine far enough. I will jump on it again tomorrow for a few hours before I have to go to work. VW definitely used every available cubic inch of space under the hood. Everything is tight. Thanks for the help. Don

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I had to move the engine A LOT. I would guess 6 to 10 inches up and down. pretty much as much as I could move it. But make sure that the engine is not rubbing up against the radiator fans because once I heard a noise and decided that I should hold the engine away from the radiator while lifting and lowering.

and yes, the Jetta seems to have way more room than the NewBeetle. I always say its like a Jetta with a pug nose. They DID use just about every inch they could to fit everything in there... just look at your washer fluid reservoir... its like a foot and a half to two feet long and goes down and through to sit beside the intercooler if i'm not mistaken lol

I'd like to know if the RSI has a different body to fit the V-6 engine! :nana2:
cause the 4 cylinder diesel is pushing it for space :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the pointers stroud. I would hate to create any additional problems when raising or lowering the engine. I will certainly keep my eyes on the radiator fans. Haven't done much automotive mechanical work in years other than minor maintenance items. I'm actually enjoying this timing belt change. Thanks for the help TDI members. Don

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
oh yes
its much better when you do your own work. its cheaper, you learn a lot (like how to operate your vehicle better in some cases), and I think its pretty fun.

I haven't done a lot of auto work in my 18 years of being alive, but I grew up on a farm helping my dad work on tractors and things, so I've got some background. plus all that i've done with my beetle to keep it going :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure what you guys are using to raise/lower your engine but I picked up a engine support bar from harbor freight for $80 or so. It made life a lot easier when I changed my tb.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I just used a floor jack (a pretty big one [3 1/2 ton]). I placed it under the right end of the oil pan (the end with all the belts on it). It allowed for quick and easy lifting and lowering
:thumbsup

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
The PD engines have different challenges when changing the timing belts (the belts are wider, for one thing...), and so do the New Beetles... Combine the two, and the job becomes quite tricky...

Have you gone over EVERY how-to out there in the big-wide-world-web??? You can pick up little tricks from a number of sources... As well as the great info to be found here http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f21/timing-belt-installation-bew-engine-jetta-2004-2005-new-beetle-golf-2004-2006-a-2977/, please go over: http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/3419/BEW_timing_belt_procedure.pdf http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=160306 http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=224304

Good luck!! Work on improving your patience... it's good discipline...

All the best,

Yuri

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very interesting links. Our ISP crashed this weekend and I didn't have the luxury of gleaning much needed info from this site during part 2 of the belt change. A lot of good info and tips on those links. FWIW, I also used a floor jack with a block of wood to raise and lower the engine. Thanks a lot Yuri.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts