VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have been having a problem of late, Im running a '03 vw TDi PD (130000miles on clock) & will be driving along the road going up thru' the gears. In 3rd around 1600/2000rpm car will rev up very fast (2800/3000rpm +) only prob - no forward motion. I have also noticed she is drinking a drop of oil too. This prob also has happened in 4th & 5th. Only happens when I push on the accelator, as soon as i notice her over rev'ing I take off the gas. For about a second she will hang in the higher range and then drop back, I reapply gas and sometimes does not happen again but sometimes it does.
Any Ideas/help, Please??
1 - Overrun
2 - Turbo Fault
3 - Clutch
4 - Intake

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
There was a double post so I moved it to the correct section.

Since you listed clutch I assume this is a manual transmission. Whenever your car revs up without forward motion, this is the clutch slipping. There's nothing else that can cause this problem.

Apply gas more gently and see if it fixes it. Teh fact that it happens in the taller gears, probably in the lower rpm also suggests a slipping clutch. I've heard of removing the inspection plate or TDC plug and spraying it/soaking the clutch with hairspray. The alcohol washes away any oil or dust and the hairspray increases friction a little bit. This could be a get-me-home solution.

Some oil consumption is normal but excess oil consumption can indicate excessive blowby, clogged CCV (like a PVC), leaking turbo seals, oil leak, cracked oil pan.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Cool tip with the hairspray. I bet that if there's an oil leak then it will quickly wet the clutch again.

Maybe you have a rear main seal leak. Is the bottom of the engine wet with oil? That could explain the slipping clutch. You could remove the lower intercooler tube and see how much oil is in there. A 1/4-1/2 cup is normal but if there's a big pool of oil in there it could be a leaking turbo seal. Fix it since it could cause the engine to runaway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts