VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coinsidentally, on my way home from the test drive after doing the .658 5th gear, my clutch grenaded a mile from home. I'm actually very happy it did this on a test drive and not on my way to work on Monday. What is "the" hot clutch upgrade to get for our cars? I will stay away from the OE DMF and aim towards a solid flywheel. I read that the G60 and the VR6 clutch is a good set up. Who sells a kit with these parts? I'll be ordering on Monday. Looks like I have to take those 400 horses via Audi S4 everyday to waork again. Can you hear the toilet flushing my fuel money? LOL!

Thanks for your help,

Jim

·
Registered
482 Posts
Ouch...Good timing though . I noticed that CCBB just released a writeup for transmission removal for the mk3 cars. IMO, it's almost the same except for the dogbone mount. There's a transmission removal .pdf somewhere on tdiclub, you'll have to find it.

Check out the G60 flywheel, it's a direct bolt on. You can also go with the valeo sprung hub clutches they use larger hub bolts. Sachs/Spec clutches are also pretty common.

See here for clutches
http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/-strse-Clutches/Categories

and here

http://www.tdiparts.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=76_102&osCsid=0e51f0ae8f8fa7977570f4db5e5f9f12

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I'm going to order a VR6/G60 Sachs kit from TDIParts on Monday. This will be a nice upgrade for my commuter car!

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
IMO, if your clutch splintered, you need a new flywheel. You can resurface it but I wouldn't since the internals of the dual mass flywheel wear out. I would get the g60 flywheel, normal weight. You mentioned that you wanted a DD, not an all out car, so I would go with a normal (about 22 lbs) weight flywheel

Some more choices out there for you, mjm autohaus has good prices,
http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=2_7_23_57_395_5208

performance cafe, never bought from them so I don't know.
http://www.performance-cafe.com/index.php?cPath=5_155&osCsid=3bc20d56d9304f62b67e4c791af86031

The alh transmission doesn't have the clearance problems that the b4 transmission does. It should be relatively straightforward, especially since you have experience with this sort of thing. The only note is that since you are removing the mounts, you have to support the engine from above. Since the airbox is above the trans in the mk4, you have to remove the airbox. There are stretch bolts in the alh transmission for the dogbone/trans mount.

Also, see this:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a3b4/transremoval.htm

you also need 12 point bits for the driveaxles. The part number for new driveaxle bolts and gasket for all mk3/mk cars is in a clickable link is in the above writeup.

·
Registered
136 Posts
400 hp in an AWD Audi, that sounds like fun! Sucks about the clutch. The vr6 clutch kit should be enough clutch for you, esp since I remember you wrote that your goal is economy. You'll need a new flywheel too since it won't bolt up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I removed the trans today. The clutch looks perfect, as does the flywheel (from the outside). My trans blew a gear/synchro/ring/something between 1st and 4th. I pulled the gearbox cover to expose 5th gear(s) and everything is perfect. So I have a VR6/G60 flywheel/clutch kit coming; now I need an EGR trans. I ordered a new rear main seal and engine mount bolts. I will be buying something on Monday. I just don't see how this happened while tooling along in 3rd gear through a neighborhood? My luck is unbelievable!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll modify for economy/efficiency.

:)

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you are familar with transmissions you could dissect it and see what happened to the internals. From what you describe, the gear was installed correctly, unless you drained the oil and didn't put it back, it was just bad luck. I don't think an 03 will be under warranty unless you have some sort of extended warranty.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll chalk this up as just Bad Luck. It was full of fluid. All I can say is that I have no way of knowing the history of how the car was driven the 140,000+ miles before I purchaced it, so who knows....perhaps it was abused and I got the shitty end of the stick. Either way, I'm still under buget with this car.... :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The dual mass flywheel and clutch I took out were perfectectly servicable. Are these worth anything to anyone? I will give them away for shipping if anyone wants them...

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I know that someone successfully sold one on tdiclub a while ago and got some rude replies. WTF, I think that since even scrap metal is worth something , it's best to keep rude replies to oneself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts