VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, could really use some help my turbo blew on new years eve and i recieved my replacement today and after a good strip clean of the VNT it is now fitted on my pride and joy but this is my first turbo replacement job and i've been told i have to bleed the oil through to the turbo.

after looking on the internet theres alot of different ideas. so can sum1 please confirm a known way of doing this.

cheers

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
First, you had removed the oil drain line and oil feed line. The center housing with the bearings is also dry. If the oil feed line was bent or damaged, do not reuse it, get a new one or else the new turbo will have oil starvation.

Some ideas include using air pressure to push oil through the oil feed line, using vacuum to suck it through the drain line. Either way, (I'm assuming this is a PD TDI engine) make sure to unscrew the connector plug on the cylinder head to disable the fuel injectors. This will let you crank the engine and move some engine oil without starting the engine. Plug back in and once the engine is started, let it idle for a little bit before driving to get any remaining air out.

The factory service manual only says to "fill turbocharger with engine oil at oil supply connection". Obviously, this does not mean to fill the turbo housing with oil or it will be ingested or be blown out the exhaust. Also make sure you remove any rags that you stuffed in any lines.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks alot tfor the advise will be a big help with the task today..

thanks again

will be posting pitures soon of the damaged turbo and the new one wait till you see the impeller

·
Registered
118 Posts
The factory service manual only says to "fill turbocharger with engine oil at oil supply connection". Obviously, this does not mean to fill the turbo housing with oil or it will be ingested or be blown out the exhaust. Also make sure you remove any rags that you stuffed in any lines.
The rag in the intake problem. I'm sure it happens more often than people would admit. Good warning.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Success completed fitting the new turbo today can honestly say i've never been so nervous turning the key for the first time after a job lol.

don't no weather its just me paying more attention now or weather the cars boosting more smoothly but it seems as if i've got abit of lagg.. haven't give it a good run yet tho just a quick test run over about 3 miles...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry forgot to say thanks alot with the info it was really useful and much apprechiated (Chitty)

Thanks again was a great help

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
To turn the engine over without firing (this sound a useful tip) which connector do i undo.

Is it the round one on the right of the engine ???

thx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts