VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everybody..

i want to know what you are thinking if it is normal the blue smoke at startup for my 05 jetta tdi mk4 BEW it does the same amount of smoke in summer at +30°C, the morning only, when hot it never do smoke.. the smoke smell unburnt diesel, not burnt oil. i live in quebec/canada where we have a cold winter and with temperature of -20°C i have to crank the engine 10-20 seconds to have it running, the dealer told me to make several glow plug cycle (like 10-15 cycles) to warm the combustion chamber to help starting.. but i don't think that is a solution, the problem is not there.

take a look to the video i made.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a1OYD9sOZA

i'm thinking of a leaking injector but i did not see anything about a leaking injector on PD engine.. also read about adjusting the injection timing by loosing the 3 bolts on the side of the timing belt pulley and rotate it to advance or rewind the injection.. i don't have VCSD :(

thanks for your help..

Asterix3k

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Don't try to adjust timing without using VCDS. Don't try to loosen those bolts without retightening them with a torque wrench. They are critical bolts and it seems like some people have overtightened them, causing them to break off. Too loose is just as bad.

The smoke doesn't look horrible. I think the light makes the smoke look thicker than it really is. All PD engines tend to have a small puff of smoke on cold starts. Because it's not there when warm I wouldn't worry about it unless it's bad.

It could also be related to the glow plug recall from last year causing ineffective glow plugs. If you had the glow plug recall done from last year please read this FAQ article on cold start problems: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/glow-plug-recall-PD-TDI.htm They are supposedly starting to fix cars that were messed up by last year's recall.

Also check for any error codes if you ever think something is wrong with your car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hello chittychittybangbangbangbang ;)

i bought the car last year in september, i did not do the recall for the glowplug but what i can do to know if it as been done? if i take a look to the glow plug and come back to you with the number and compagny will help you ?

this video of smoke is not the biggest puff of smoke that the car can do.. and the light doesn't make the smoke thicker.. if i start the car in the garage i must open the door first or diesel odour will stay in the garage like a cloud

and what about an injector leaking?

thanks

·
Registered
278 Posts
Try some diesel purge, it will clean up the fuel system and the injectors.

You probably didn't have the glow plug recall done. If you carefully remove the glow plug, it should say if it's 5v or 7v. According to the FAQ, if you have 7v plugs you have ceramic plugs. Be careful though because if it breaks off then you have to get the tip out before starting the engine. Put some lube around the base of the threads and let it soak for a while. You want it to penetrate the glow plug threads and maybe even get down to the carbon buildup and soften it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi vent5,

i took a look on my glow plugs, here is the info.. BOSCH, 0250402004 5V FRANCE 889 WVN 10591607

it looks like that the glow plugs recall has been done??

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Hi ! My PD 130 SEAT Ibiza does exactly the same puff of smoke ( diesel not oil) on start up and has done this for a few years now. Once warm no smoke on start up at all.

It seems as if a small amount of diesel collects somewhere when left standing for say 24hrs + and finds its way into the combustion chamber. Doesn't seem to be a problem though.

Oil consumption is half a litre every 10 k miles and runs like a dream with 205 bhp / 380ftlbs and 108k miles on the clock all done by myself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
news from VW for cold starting

here is the last email i recieved from them..! good news but i've already called the dealer and they told me that there is nothing to do to reverse the bad glow plug recall!! ? ? ?

Dear Mr.
Thank you for contacting Volkswagen regarding the glow plugs on your vehicle.
I apologize for the inconvenience that you have experienced with your vehicle starting in cold temperatures.
Volkswagen Canada did cancel the previous R8 campaign as there were still remaining concerns. We have since developed a new solution. Please contact your local dealer for more details.
If you have any further questions comments or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us at www.VW.ca or 1.800.822.8987.
Sincerely,

Jessyka
Volkswagen Customer Care

1 - 8 of 8 Posts