VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car was sputtering and losing power so my friend told me to change the fuel filter. Now the car will not start. I am cranking and cranking but the engine will not turn over. Is there a fuel reset button or fuel pump that is not working?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Don't worry, this comes up a lot. The fuel filter is rated for 20,000 miles of use before change. The reason it's not starting is because the fuel has to get sucked all through the system by the injection pump before it'll start. Read this:
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/fuel-filter-change-TDI-engine.htm
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/multi/fuelfilter.htm

The idea is to draw fuel to the pump so it will start immediately. If you keep cranking it'll start too but it's hard on the battery and starter.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
What year car is this? If 2004-2006, then you DO have an electric fuel pump. Also keep in mind that a leak in the fuel line can cause a no start condition. Look for air bubbles in the clear part of the plastic lines.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
You can also crack loose one of the fuel injector lines. This will help bleed air out the other end of the fuel line and get the fuel moving.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I don't really like cracking the fuel injector lines because the fuel pump will purge out the air anyways. It's suggested to counterhold the injector body when you crack open the fuel injector hard lines too. I don't see how cracking the fuel injector lines is any different from removing the return fuel line to the injector pump. Both will spray fuel everywhere and both are on the same return line.

A much cleaner solution is to apply vacuum to the return line so that it isn't spraying fuel out and you just need a mity-vac. If you're by yourself, you don't need a second person to quickly shut off the ignition once fuel is spraying everywhere.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why can't the car just purge itself so it starts quickly? I've run a gas car out of gas and it started quickly.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
A gas car has an electric fuel pump that primes the system for you. Your car has an injection pump that sucks the fuel and it's the fuel pump. It primes the system but since it's connected to the timing belt, you have to crank the engine and it takes a long time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts