VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I'm hoping someone will be able to guide me in the right direction on what to do about this disaster of a mess I currently find myself to be in. I am replacing the water pump and timing belt on my 01 Beetle 1.9L ALH and everything was going great until I had to leave for an appointment and while I was gone one of the guys, who thought he knew what he was doing, put a drill bit in the injection pump pulley keyway and proceeded to try and take the middle bolt out of the harmonic balancer ( which doesn't come out) and broke the drill bit off inside of the injection pump pulley. Now I am unable to turn my engine to get it on TDC where I need it to be cuz of this broken drill bit stuck inside the pulley.
I have no idea how to get this out of there or what I can do to remove it. I've tried to use an inspection camera to see inside but it is too large and won't fit inside the opening and I don't know what to do from here cause the timing of the injection pump is so easily messed with. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ugh hate it when that happens...

#1.take the butt end of a drill bit, put dumdum tape/ silicone rtv, ie something sticky on the end, and go fishing to try to stick the drill bit to the broken piece and pull it gently out. You might have to turn the pulley slightly so there is no pressure on the broken bit. Gently pull out the bit with broken end stuck to it, as you do not want to get it stuck in timing belt area.
#2 Can try to magnetize the non broken bit with very powerful magnet and go fishing.

#3 do not pull off the pulley as it is not keyed and resetting is damned near impossible

Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Uboo thank you so much for responding. I was unclear what lay within that hole where the broken bit is and I'm so glad I didn't let anyone touch that pulley. I will try what you've recommended and with fingers crossed and many may prayers the broken piece can be removed with ease. Thank you again for the help!

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
Hoping that they really didn't get that nut broke loose. In general it's unlikely that someone can do it in-car. If the paint (usually yellow) isn't fractured then the nut didn't budge.

If the drill bit isn't wedged inside then a simple magnet ought to work. You can extend the magnetic reach by inserting a piece of coat hanger into the hole and place the magnet on the coat hanger, as close to the entrance as you can get to maximize magnetic pull.

Note that a broken drill bit (or whatever) inside this hole isn't going to hurt anything. It can only interfere with the TB work. It's possible, though I wouldn't give it high odds, that there could still be enough depth to set a "locking" pin for the TB work. Best, though, is to remove all doubt/obstacles.

Find someone who actually knows what they're doing. If you include your location in your info that would help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts