VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new Jetta TDI for my wife in 2006. It's been pretty trouble-free up to now, with just a few minor warranty items at first. As I do all of my own work, I'm glad to find this site, and I'm sure I'll depend on all of the learned expertise offered.

With almost 90K miles on it, it's due for a timing belt/water pump/tensioner change. In fact, I'm nervous that if I don't hurry and do it right away, winter will be here and I'll wait too long!

I've had several older VWs and many diesels over the years, including 3 Rabbits, 2 Jettas, 4 Mercedes 300d/sd, and 4 Peugeot diesels.

Buying this '06 TDI seemed logical at first. After we had it a year or so, I kept hearing rumors that this PD engine was troublesome, and the automatic was a poor design. I was hopeful that wasn't the case, and in fact we haven't had any engine or powertrain issues at all. I use the Castrol 505.01 or Amsoil 505.01 oil, Wix or Mann filters, and that's about it.

Is there anything else I should be doing to this car with 90K miles other than the timing belt? Anything that needs done to the transmission? Can't believe I got over 80K on the original Continental tires!

Thanks for any advise you might have, and especially thanks for the knowledge I'm sure to use as I read through this forum.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The DSG transmission fluid should be changed every 40,000 miles. The filter is under the battery area. The only tricky thing is the fill tool you must use. You have to use it to fill the fluid from underneath the car, it's not a straight drain-refill. VW's tool is pretty expensive but you can DIY make your own or buy a generic tool that will do the same thing. If you wish to DIY the fluid change there's currently no writeup for it so it would qualify for the writeup contest prize.

80k? Wow, roads in Nebraska must be really good!

Before you do the timing belt, also do a camshaft inspection. If it needs replacement, now is the obvious time to do it. They have cam wear issues, look through the FAQ article for more details.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts