VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently getting ready to install a new timing belt on my wifes new beetle (2003). I have the tools from diesel geek and the vag com and should have all the parts in by next weekend. Wish me luck.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I found the FAQ.

My only concern is the tight workspace in the beetle. Is it possible to use the method outline in the FAQ on the ALH engine in the beetle?

I just appears that there is more room in the car that is used in the FAQ pictures.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have only replaced a timing belt once and I don't know if I would dare do it again...actually, I would if I needed to. :) good luck to all that brave such a task.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Away you go, it's not that bad as long as you follow instructions and have some idea what you're doing then they're fine. I haven't found one yet I haven't been able to do with a bunch of second rate tools.:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
just make sure you do the belt tensioning right...
I always wondered why the heck the cam and ip sprockets had to come loose. I was even planning on doing the job without loosening them... then I pulled my head out of my a** and realized that the WHOLE belt will stretch

my advice: don't try and skip any step, for you may not understand the importance of it :thumbsup

but it'll turn out ok =]
the engine mount(the one bolted to the block with 3 bolts) was a little difficult to deal with. you must raise and lower the engine just right to get to the bolts out. and the mount takes a deal of maneuvering to get completely out.

in my case, assembly was quicker than disassembly

best of luck! :D

we're here if you run into some mud :eek:

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again everyone for the advice. I can't wait to get this project started this weekend and get the car going for another 100K. I will keep you posted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts