VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am Robert, I have recently bought a 99 Golf TDI for my daughter. We Love the car and it has been wonderful. I showed my daughter how to work on her own car as it is her responsibility to keep it in good working order. She has replaced many suspension components her self with just a little bit of guidance from me. and now we have come to a issue my 40 years of VW Shade Tree mechanical experience eludes me.
this is my first TDI with lots of VW gas engines in my past with only one Diesel MK1 Rabbit.
We bought the Ross Tech OB2 set up for the car and the Bentley Manual.
Problem is No start.
Scan shows 2 faults
16764 Glow Plug/ Heater (Q6) Circuit??
17664 Engine Coolent Temp Sensor (G62)
P1256 -35-00 Open or Short to Plus ???
I Spent the day yesterday and the day before and now today trying to get this baby running. She replaced the glow plugs before this and the harness looks a bit ruff and will be replaced soon.
I hope its just the temp sensor.
Any Help would be Greatly Appreciated.
Thanks Robert and Kat

·
Super Moderator
9,227 Posts
welcometomyturbodies

Its nice to see you made an intro on your own. ;)

Any problems search TDI Wiki as that covers write ups and forum posts.

VAG Error Code: 16764/000869

EOBD II Error Code: P0380

Fault Location:
Glow Plug/Heater - Circuit Malfunction

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
No Pre-Glow Period.
Poor Cold Starting.

Fuse(s).
Wiring/Connector(s).
Glow plug relay (J52).
Glow plugs.
Engine Control Module (ECM).

Possible Solutions:
Check Glow Plug Wiring.
Check/Replace Fuse(s).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
Check Glow Plug(s).

Special Notes:
See TDIClub Glow Plug 101

When is the code detected?:
The glow plugs are commanded OFF and the glow plug feedback is more than 2 volts, or
The glow plugs are commanded on and the glow plug feedback is not between 5 volts and 6.2 volts.

Description:
The glow plug system is used to assist in providing the heat required to begin combustion during cold engine temperatures. The glow plugs are heated before and during cranking, as well as initial engine operation. The Engine Control Module (ECM) controls the glow plug ON times by monitoring coolant temperature and glow plug voltage. The California Glow Plug system has eight individual glow plug supply circuits between the controller and the glow plugs. If the feedback voltage from the controller to the Engine Control Module (ECM) is not within range this error code will be set.

VAG Error Code: 17664

EOBD II Error Code: P1256

Fault Location:
Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (G62) Circuit - Open Circuit/Short Circuit to Positive

Possible Cause:
Difficulties with starting a cold engine.
Diesel: an indication is extreme long time burning time of the glow indication light.
Starting the engine when engine is warmish or warm, idle rpm immediately is 1200 - 3000 rpm.
RPM at idle is irregular.
With all engine temperatures seldom idle rpm will vary between 900 - 1000 rpm.
With engine warm (90 °C) the engine temperature suddenly drops (70 °C) and slowly comes back to 90 °C.
Bad acceleration during warming up.

Fuse(s).
Wiring/Connector(s).
Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (G62) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace Fuse(s).
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
Check/Replace Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (G62).

Special Notes:
In MY 1995-2002 (?) in Europe at VW-cars the G2/G62 had the bad reputation of breaking down often. The default G2/G62 is black and all replacements are green.

As taken from my new Free EOBD II Error Codes software

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you Keithuk for that Great helpful info. I do have the new Ross-Tec cable the Hex-V2 and their VCSD system on my laptop. First time using this new out of the box.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts