VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi, I have a 2003 TDI Jetta, with 178,000 kms.

I am so happy to have found this site, it blows me away with the detail and quality of articles.
I have trouble shifting at higher rpms (higher than about 2200), and in neutral if I rev up to about 4000 I get some grinding noise if I try to shift to 5th.

I was told this is my clutch, and so am looking to replace the dmf with a single mass kit, I'm looking at articles now but I needed a post to access them.

I recently had to replace my n75 valve as well, rough running and couldn't get past 120kph.

Also there's a crack in my oil pan that only leaks under pressure, I'll probably get it welded unless people really think that's a bad idea.

Loving my TDI, and looking forward to making use of all this information.

-Andy.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Welcome! It could be the transmission. Have you bled the clutch? Does better rev matching the clutch help the shifting?

IMHO, I'd replace the oil pan while you're under there for peace of mind. It's not too expensive.
welcometomyturbodies

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't bled the clutch, the shifting is fine once the revs drop to about 2k or under.
I was looking into this and told perhaps the clutch isn't disengaging 100%, making it hard to shift into at higher revs. Anyway, it chatters on engagement into 1st from stop, so I'm of the understanding that's a clear sign it's starting to wear... any good source on CDN parts? If not I'm thinking MJM Autohaus mail-order the G90 + VR6 for $330 or so plus s&h. Seems like a much better price than for the dmf kits...

Thanks for your reply on the other post as well :) Stocks around 26 on the dmf, right? I think the g90 equivalent is 22 since the clutch has some extra lbs due to the springs in it...

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still having problems....

Well, I changed my vacuum lines, cleaned out the egr valve/intake manifold, but I'm still having limp problems. I have the following engine codes:

16492 - Manifold pressure too high (intermittent)
16618 - Overboost

My understanding these two go together and are causing my limp mode.

I also found a 16502 - which means I should change my G62 coolant sensor.

While I was cleaning the manifold I noticed a problem with the main line coming off the vacuum pump.
The big black plastic-like line has a pinch-like connector (the one nearest the pump) that was loose. I couldn't tighten it so I removed it and put on a screw-on hose clamp. When taking off the big hose, I noticed that the big nipple coming out of the vacuum pump was a bit loose, I could rotate it by hand and jiggle it a little bit. Is this normal? Or should I get a new vacuum pump?

Another problem that's been developing is the transmission. I have the parts but still need to change my clutch (it's been too cold here and my shop's not heated). I now notice an odd sound when driving. If I apply a lot of torque and then let go of the accelerator pedal suddently, I can hear a bassy whirring sound that sounds like it's 'spinning down'. This is nothing at all like the high pitched whine of the turbo kicking in and out. Any ideas?

Thanks as always!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The transmission sound could just be some backlash but you should hear it at all times.

Vac or pressure test the vac pump hose. It should hold air. Mine was a little loose but OK but that doesn't mean yours is.

The overboost thing could be related, take a look through the limp mode FAQ article.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What do you mean by 'backlash'?
I find now I hear it more when everything's warmed up and moving.
Could it be that the release lever is bent? Sometimes when I shift into reverse it grinds. I am very cautions, and when I feel that start to happen I back off the shifter, wait a bit, and try again.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The release lever could be bent but bleed the clutch first, there could be an air bubble. Also try adjusting the shifter.

Backlash is basically when the engine is in gear and you're coasting down there can be a little slack in the drivetrain and mounts that makes a clunk. Maybe something loose is causing something to be touched and transmitting gear noise.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This definately isn't a 'clunk', it sounds similar in nature to the turbo downspin, but it's immediately after letting go of the accelerator, I can hear the turbo whine down just after. I changed my brake fluid and did the clutch too... I got the service manual, I find it a bit hard to figure out still (the ebahn reader), but I'll look into adjusting the shifter. I'm hoping that when I do the clutch replacement this might go away, but thought it might be some 'known' problem.

Thanks again for all your assistance, I'll be sure and report all findings/updates.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts