VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
welcometomyturbodiesI take delivery on my mettalic blue 2011 Toureg Comfortline at 1030 hrs tomorrow. I can hardly wait. This will be my fourth VW. I started out with a 2.5 Jetta then moved on to a Passat CC. We then purchased a 2010 Tiguan for the wife. This will be my first diesel other than the ambulances I drive at work. If anybody can tell me anything I should know I would be greatly appreciative. I've been reading up on the "AdBlue" and some of the features of the car but I have noticed that most of the articles I find online are from prior to the intro of the Toureg in North America and as such seem to be mostly speculation about what the car will have and be able to do. If someone could steer me toward some more relevant articles, again I would be most appreciative. I do have the Vag Com cable and software and have learned a few things about the vagaries of VW computers through the Tig and the CC. This is another area where I would appreciate any advice someone could provide as to mods and such via the Ross Tech equipment. I look forward to conversing and swapping stories with fellow Toureg owners. I am very glad I found this site.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
There's an Adblue FAQ article here that is based off real world user experiences.

I don't have much info on the 2011 Touareg mods but since you already have some experience with them, please do share. Taking step-by step screenshots won't be any work but it would greatly help others and share info. There's also a writeup contest for new writeups :)

Also, post moved to the Touareg section, it may be more visible there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As for Adblue...I pretty closely researched the subject (mainly just out of curiosity) when I first bought my BMW diesel.Long story short.....it doesn't look like a major issue to me.The fluid itself isn't expensive (2 gallon jug about $13US) and the filling process is so easy even *I* can do it.I know this because I bought a 1/2 gallon bottle and actually put it in the car...easy as pie.The only potential issue I can see is that,because Adblue has a shelf life and can go "bad",the holding tank must be somehow purged periodically (every other year for my MB).I suspect that this must be done by a trained tech with special tools.

Another thing you folks in The Great White North might keep in mind...last January I took a quick trip to a town about 200 miles north of Montreal.Anticipating *very* cold temps (it did get to -31F one night I was there) I asked a local BMW dealership (before I left) about Adblue in very cold temps and was told that it *can* freeze and,if frozen,the car might not start.But they didn't sound sure of this.Just FYI....

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Another thing you folks in The Great White North might keep in mind...last January I took a quick trip to a town about 200 miles north of Montreal.Anticipating *very* cold temps (it did get to -31F one night I was there) I asked a local BMW dealership (before I left) about Adblue in very cold temps and was told that it *can* freeze and,if frozen,the car might not start.But they didn't sound sure of this.Just FYI....
Take a look at page 2 of the adblue specific DPF FAQ: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/audi-q7-tdi-dpf-faq.htm

Below -11oC, the solution will separate into urea and ice crystals. The tank is heated for this reason but only after engine start. It will not affect engine start since it doesn't spray fluid until after the exhaust is warmed up anyways.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts