VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to recieve my 2nd VW i beleive its right around a 2002 golf (my 1st being A 1972 beetle)
i know diffrent forum. However my 2002ish golf is being given to me by a friend. That being said he dosent have the key fob with the immobilizer chip is it just best to get a new one or just bypass?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
First, figure out if you have immo 2 or immo 3 because the keys are different. You should have immo 3.

If he doesn't have the key fob w/chip, how does he drive the car? Take a look at the immobilizer FAQ and the mk4 key replacement FAQ for the long answer on how to get a key cheapest. Short answer: buy cut key online w/VIN and take to dealer for programming.
welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually its a 2001

The car hasent been started other than the initial 1sec run and die. He has a towing company and he towed this golf and in texas after 60 days ,and trying to contact the origional owner it became his. I have found out that he does have the original key is there a way to just let the car reconize the origional or do i have to tow it to the dealer for a siginal refresh?

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Is there not something about leaving the key in the ignition in the on position for 30 mins or something. I can't remember but someone on here will.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts