VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I've got a 2003 Jetta TDI with 204k miles on it.

Just took it in for the 200k timing belt change, plus had some other things done like clean out the EGR system, leaky sun roof, and some vibrating rear brakes. The mechanic called and said that he found my oil low, and that we found a bunch of oil in the EGR. He suggested that the turbo was on the way out, so I'm just doing some research about that.

I've had very few problems with this car over the years, and am inclined to keep it for a long time. My general theory with car maintenance is that unless there are major structural problems, good preventative maintenance and even repairs of major systems are cheaper than getting a new car, or used one with possible other unknown issues.

Thanks!

AndrewY

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
There's a weep hole on the bottom of the EGR, common problem and the eGR can be replaced separately.

If you have a lot of oil, like a cup, in the intercooler, I would replace the turbo. If there's enough to be wiped with a 2-3 paper towels, it might be OK. The lower intercooler hose is a low spot where oil mist settles.

If you plan on keeping the car longer, how is your suspension? 2003 is IMHO, one of the best years for fuel economy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts