VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm a new member and a VW TDI lover. I come from a family where TDi runs in the blood. It all started with my grandfather, he used to repaired damaged parts back in the day, when Slovenia was part of Yugoslavia. He quickly figured out that VW was producing quality cars and after 15 previews cars bought a Golf Mk3. After a few years he bought his first new car a 1999 VW Golf MK4, which was in the family for 20 and never had any problems, until my brother rolled it in the ditch. He currently ows a 2009 Tiguan 2.0 TDI and had quite a few incidents with the car (contaminated diesel, that corroded the fuel system, that is a funny story and quite a lot DPF filter problems). My father owed quite a lot of VWs, curently driving a MK5 Golf 1.9 TDI and a 2018 Passat 2.0 TDI (great car). My brother is also a huge car guy. After crashing the family MK4 Golf, he now drives his own Mk4 Golf 2003 1.9 TDI 3 door. He has an amazing stereo system and quite a few mods.I also drive a Mk4 Golf 1.9 TDI 5 door 2003, ATD engine. I bought the car as I know how reliable these cars are and it hasn't disappointed. I was brought to this forum as I need to change the clutch on the car and this forum is full of great info. It developed quite a strange problem, where the clutch only occasionally slips. Will take the car apart tomorrow and take a look. I'm also planing to do a full belt change as so much of the car will be in pieces. Wish me luck. Will post pictures if I ran into any unexpected problems.

·
Premium Member
9,739 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Its nice to see you made an intro on your own. ;)

Good intro.

This is a new forum layout which is owned by a company last year that doesn't give a dam with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes which they refuse to install. It doesn't show the car spec/location.

Add your car specs to your signature that will show on every post you make.

Car spec now shows not for all members.

Release Notes

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a poll which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just an update on the service day this Saturday (26.9.2020). I had the car on a hoist and successfully swapped both belts with the SKF replacement kits and swapped the clutch with a LUK repo set pre-assembled DMF kit. The job took around 12 hours, all the parts work great. The clutch pedal is quite a bit softer compared with the stock clutch, but that is to be expected with the LUK clutch. A few pointers if anybody is attempting to do a belt and clutch job at the same time. If you have a sturdy engine holder (bar across the engine bay) take the left engine mount off and remove the clutch, then you can remove the right engine mount. At this point the engine was mounted only to the engine holder. This way you have quite a bit more room when doing a belt change, as you can slide the engine more. After the belt change, mount the right engine mount back and work on the clutch. When handling the transmission use a transmission holder, as the transmission is quite heavy and awkward and there isn't much manoeuvring room, a helping hand will help. For loosening the axles I used the screwdriver in the brake disc method and when removing the flywheel from the engine I put one of the bolts from the transmission back and used a screwdriver to held it in place. I also swapped out the RMS as I wasn't sure if it was leaking or not. But there were sings of oil and I wanted to be on the safe side, as all was already taken apart. When reinterpreting the flywheel you need a long bit to access the bolts as the transmission is pre-assembled (flywheel, clutch and pressure plate all in one piece). Tightening it in steps of 30Nm, 60Nm and then a 90 degree turn, I had one of the bolts strip, so use a quality bit. Other than that the kit is great and doesn't require any special tools for installation. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

·
Premium Member
9,739 Posts
Its easier to post your problems in the correct model section rather than bogging down your intro?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts