VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been visiting this site for a while now. I enjoy the knowledge and opinions offered and wanted to join the community.

I have just purchased a 2011 Golf TDI 2 door with 6 speed manual. I have owned other Audi's and VW's so I am not unfamiliar with the brand. But it is my first diesel. So far I am impressed. It is a total blast to drive. Very much like my first brand new car that I purchased in 1986; a black GTI. What a great car. I had absolutely no problems with my GTI except scheduled maintenance and hopefully will have the same experience with my TDI. I have owned more expensive and more powerful vehicles in between. But the "fun to drive" factor is hard to articulate. But my TDI has it.

I will be tracking my mileage and will be posting any anomalies that I observe. But so far every drive is an adventure.

AK

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Welcome! They just keeping getting better and better huh? The old GTI used to be a cheap pocket rocket, I'd say the features on the Golf TDI actually make it a fairly mid level car despite the smaller size.
welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly, I think VW is onto something with the new TDI that is really untouched as of yet here in the U.S. That is, using diesel and the low end torque it creates, to make a fun daily driver that is also very economical. I know VW has been making diesels for the U.S. for many years. But I believe that the Golf TDI in its current form is leaps and bounds over the previous VW diesels. The clean diesel, the quality of the cabin, the fit and finish, the suspension and of course the MPG make this vehicle very drivable for most of America. The key will be reliability of the vehicle in the long haul and if America will give a VW a chance. Everybody who drives my TDI is thoroughly impressed.

People that would not have considered a VW or even driving a diesel in 2009 would be very comfortable and content with a 2010-2011 Golf TDI. I hope VW is able to ramp up production while maintaining quality of materials and workmanship. I dread the possibility that they would move production of the Golf TDI to Mexico to reduce production costs.

I mean, think of the possibilities: The GTD diesel with an even tighter suspension? The 1.6 litre diesel engine from Europe, brought over here as the true hybrid buster? There are a lot of possibilities.

I have owned vehicles much more expensive than my new TDI. But as a balance of form, function, value and that elusive feature, "fun to drive." I think the current Golf TDI that is made in Wolfsburg is a Grand Slam Home Run. It is for me anyway.

Just my .02.

I really do appreciate the site and the work that goes into maintaining it. Thank you.

AK

1 - 3 of 3 Posts