VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all members,

Shade tree mechanic who lives near Little Rock, I recently bought my first diesel after a big push from a friend/mechanic who sold me on the fuel savings and long life of TDI engines, here's hoping he is right. My 04 Jetta Wagen TDI already had 190,000 miles but looks and runs great! Just pushed it a little bit but really like the acceleration and handling for this 4 cylinder motor. It has been well-maintained but since I cannot get timing belt information or locate the previous owner, I must go ahead with the job of changing so I can relax while driving it. The seller gave me a warranty on it for the day I drove it, which was fair as it was a dealer/no warranty type transaction. That night I drove it 700 miles from Dallas, TX to Route 66 in the panhandle with my border collie by my side and had a great adventure in a vintage motel in McLean, TX. I had to go to Dallas from Little Rock to find a TDI since all of them around my town were sold so fast. Not a big market in Little Rock. I drove a 5 speed locally but did not buy fast enough as it sold in under 24 hours. But for my job I needed an automatic so I am better off with this little wagen. Excellent shape, leather inside, 190,000 miles, one owner, price was $6800. I am satisfied and have gone over 2000 miles in 10 days as I went back to Dallas in it last week and bought my daughter a Civic-Hybrid (no negatives please, i am nervous enough). The Honda was much smoother and quieter and hopefully will be great for her and I was impressed by it too. Great to have a forum like this as I will be changing the timing belt tomorrow and possibly Thursday using info from this site. Bought parts from Bora Bora and was out $307 for kit, small special tool kit and priority mail. Plan on taking my time and seeking help here if needed.
Pray for me.......I have changed a few timing belts but never on a car I just bought. Like having a new girlfriend, I want our relationshiop to start out right as it is all down hill after that. Down hill is not a bad thing in a car though.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Welcome! Since the TB change interval is 100k miles, it's probably due anyways. If anything in the TB instructions aren't clear, please post a follow up.

FYI, since this is the second change, just watch out for the motor mount threads. If they seem stripped, either repair the mount threads or replace the mount. It's aluminum and it's holding the engine up.
welcometomyturbodies

1 - 3 of 3 Posts