VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello Every body
I am the happy, not so happy today, owner of a 2002 Jetta TDI.

Stock, nothing fancy, got this car to be my conmuter.

Well, went to my mechanic this week anf got the news that I need a new turbo, guy got me panicking saying that you have oil in the intercooler and the carbonation is very bad, your engine is going to suck the oil and blow, your piston rods will end like spaguetti and so on.

Well I am taking this with a little grain of salt, since the way he explained did not make much sense! I can see the potential for a run away engine but not to seize the engine

If had not blown the car hopefully is not going to happen in the next few days, so before spending thousand of dollars I decided to do a little bit of research and found this website.

Thanks to the forum now I know that the loss of power is because the engine is going into limp mode, after all I may not need a new turbo but
just some turbo cleaning and check some selenoids!

So far I have to say that all the information is very usefull and lots of explanations

thanks

Keep the good work

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Yeh check for fault codes too if you haven't already but apart from that just go through the limp mode or low power faqs and post back if you need any help.:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
I can see the potential for a run away engine but not to seize the engine
Actually, Hydro-Lock is a real possibility if the seals in your turbo are shot.

That said, it isn't that common, and I'd have a 2nd opinion.

If you just got the car, it's possible that the oil has been accumulating there for a while... if the previous owner idled the car a lot, that would cause a buildup... Try a couple of Italian Tuneups and keep close watch on your oil level...

Over on the TDIclub there are a number of members from Kitchener... you should ask in the Ontario forum for a recommendation for a reliable, experienced TDI tech.

All the best,

Yuri

1 - 4 of 4 Posts