VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Member here from Central MN. Waiting for 6-10 inches of snow to come today. Also waiting for new upper boost hose to come in, upper tab on quick connect to intake manifold wore off - it's being held in place with a couple of tye-raps now. Hose is on order from dealer, will pick up Wednesday, will order "doggie collar" from Kerma on Wednesday also - will not change hose untill I get collar (if temp fix lasts that long - even if I have to replace the straps a couple of times).

I ordered the hose from the dealer before I found out about the collar that Kerma carrys - Oh Well...... The dealer price for the hose was in line with other places I looked at on the net so I just ordered it from the dealer.

My car is a 2005 New Beetle GLS with the DSG transmission, it has ~74,000 miles on it and is stock. I bought the car brand new and I have done all the oil changes myself so there is no question if the correct oil (505.01) was used. I am dreading the 80,000 mile service with the timing belt and transmision fluid/filter both needing service. I will make sure the dealer replaces the waterpump and roller(s) and tensioner when the timing belt is done.

This is assuming I keep the car past the 80,000 mile mark - DSG's sure do start hard when temps get colder than -10F (10 degrees below Zero). There is not enough room under the hood on a Beetle with an AT for the Frost Heater's and garaging it is not an option. VW should have made this issue known to customers, especially in the Northern climates:dunno.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Yes, making the starting problem w/DSG slightly worse is that a diesel runs off compression so a fast turning engine will start easier. People with DSG say it starts slightly slower and can creep in very cold weather because the fluid is too thick.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts