VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

About 3 weeks ago I picked up my 2011 Jetta SportWagen TDI from VW of Oakland (CA). Platinum Gray/Black, automatic, with panorama sunroof/wheels and cargo mat/cargo Legos. After one tank I got about 36 MPG doing mostly city driving, which beats the best milage I on a tank of gas I got out of my old Mazda 5.

I was trying to find a blue exterior/black interior with the Premium package, but they weren't able to find one, so I opted for my backup choice. I got it for $600 under invoice, and I love it, so I'm not going to complain. I do miss the built-in navigation, though.

I'm sorely tempted to upgrade to an RNS-510 and then sell the RCD-510 I have. Considering what the RNS-510 would add (navigation, built-in MDI, HD Radio, hard drive, nice integration with the MFD), and the fact that it seems to have way more features than the RNS-315 I would have gotten with the premium package, it seems like a good move.

I've seen lots of posts about how to change it out, so I'm not afraid of doing that. Reprogramming the VAG-COM looks easy, but I don't want to spend $300 on something I wouldn't use again. Has anyone had a dealer or other shop do it? Is this a common thing to do?

Thanks,
Scott K.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think you need to program anything since you already have the NAV. What needs to be reprogrammed?
I thought that you had to reprogram the car's computer to recognize the new features of the radio -- displaying the directions on the dash display, etc.

I also found an excellent feature comparison of the RNS-315 vs. RNS-510 at this site. Based on that I may just go with the RNS-315. I don't need HDRadio support that badly.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
He doesn't have the nav yet.

Yes, you have to tell the CAN BUS that GPS is installed and stick a GPS antenna under the dash. You also have to unplug the compass module under the very back of the headliner so that the GPS isn't getting 2 compass signals.

I have used both systems and I don't care about HD radio although it definitely does sound better. The interface is better designed and is faster in the 315 but the larger screen and onboard hard drive in the 510 is nice.

If you get a 315, make sure it has maps loaded. The SD card maps are only now starting to trickle out and I don't think dealers can order them yet as the maps are loaded at the factory. They are also copy protected so you can't borrow someone's map.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Whoops, sorry, I misread. Yes, in that case you just need to check a few boxes to program it and like chitty said, unplug the existing compass.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have used both systems and I don't care about HD radio although it definitely does sound better. The interface is better designed and is faster in the 315 but the larger screen and onboard hard drive in the 510 is nice.
I would get it for the extra sub-channels, but in the SF Bay Area there's only one station with a second channel I'd care to listen to anyway. It's not worth it just for that.

The screen appears to be a bit smaller than what I had in my old Mazda 5, but based on the demo I saw online I think it will be fine.

If you get a 315, make sure it has maps loaded. The SD card maps are only now starting to trickle out and I don't think dealers can order them yet as the maps are loaded at the factory. They are also copy protected so you can't borrow someone's map.
That's good to know. I'm assuming I would find a used one at this point; I haven't seen a new one for sale anywhere.

-- Scott K.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, my patience has paid off - I found an RNS-315 and antenna, and a basic VAG-COM cable on eBay. Once I get it installed I will have an RCD-510 for sale, probably by this weekend.

I will try to take some pictures and do a full writeup, as I haven't seen an end-to-end description of the whole process yet. I've been able to pull a lot of information from the web, so I expect it to be a pretty easy job. The hard part will probably be the coding.

It sounds like when you buy an RNS-315 used it will have maps preloaded, which makes sense. I find it hard to believe they would somehow disappear when the unit was removed.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Thanks, please take pictures of any wiring harnesses and the removal of the trim. It will qualify for the writeup contest if there are step by step pics! http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f9/writeup-award-gift-certificate-through-sponsor-kermatdi-2295/ More pics is better than too few!

Please make sure to include details on how to disconnect the compass module at the rear. Yes, the used RNS315 are loaded with maps at the factory and it'll still be there when you get it. The new aren't since they were never installed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, please take pictures of any wiring harnesses and the removal of the trim. It will qualify for the writeup contest if there are step by step pics! http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f9/writeup-award-gift-certificate-through-sponsor-kermatdi-2295/ More pics is better than too few!
I did the install this morning, and it went much easier than I had expected, even with a collection of web pages at the ready for reference!

I'll write it up later today or this evening. My daughter wanted to help, so I made her the photographer. :)

Please make sure to include details on how to disconnect the compass module at the rear. Yes, the used RNS315 are loaded with maps at the factory and it'll still be there when you get it. The new aren't since they were never installed.
I got a few pictures of the rear trim removal and compass disconnection. It turned out to be easy to remove and reinstall but you may think you broke it on remove at first. :D

I'm not 100% sure now if I got a factory-new unit or not. The seller sent it in a VW box with original packaging and a manual, and on installation we found it had a full set of North America V01 maps. I have read horror stories from other folks about this, so I was concerned when I received it, but it turned out to be a non-issue.

I am having CAN-BUS coding issues, though. I bought a $19 cable off eBay, and VCDS-Lite can connect to it and can see the interface, but can't read anything from the car. I'll start a new thread on that; I think I may look for someone with the real deal and save the trouble.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think the ebay cables will work with the CAN BUS car. You need a hex-can or micro can cable from ross tech to work on them.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-lite/index.html says that the vcds lite shareware or full version won't work with can bus.
Darn it... you're right. I completely misread that. I can get a CAN-BUS upgraded cable from them, but even then I would still need the full version of the software.

Oh well, at least I only spent $20 to figure that out. :mad:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts