VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am owner of VW Jetta TDI from 2006. Found good source to understand what I have, what troubble to expect and how to solve..

Little problem I have. With car I got only one key, second was not from this car. For spare key visited lock master who helped me easily with Audi A6 2000 few years ago. He was not able to help in this case. So I am looking what are people speeking about in world.

·
Super Moderator
9,416 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

I've never heard of a WW Jetta 2000? ;)

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
It's a Typo 2000, they were popular in the former Czech Republic.

Go back to the lock master, he may need a new tool but he can work with the immobilizer because I'm sure the Audi had one as well.

·
Super Moderator
9,416 Posts
I guessed that I was jut kidding.

What is it with this 40 character minimum post chitty? ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
In at the deep end first post

Having found a a slightly damaged cam/lifters during a timing belt change on my '05 caddy 2.0 TDi PD diesel - Wade Camshafts in Melbourne cleaned some smeared bearing journals and reground a couple lobes including a PD lobe, their Rockwell test on a lobe tip said it was still OK. I assume the hydraulic lifters will take up the difference as they maintained the profile all around. Couldn't find an aftermarket supplier here so everything is VW but I have noticed a lot of myths and advice I think is dubious and VW is not really keen to help with any advice.

1. New lifters should be left for half an hour to drain after being stored upright???

I am bleeding the air out by squeezing with the hole up in a cup of oil and dropping them in place.

2. Journal bolts are stretch type and (always new ones at $10 a pop) should be installed in a clean dry tapped hole to avoid overtorquing when lubricated?? Or that you can use the old ones? I presume torque settings and procedure will now be available from archives. (first post)

I am installing new ones having blown out the holes with a compressed air and a couple shots of carby cleaner but there will always be some oil in there and I am getting a lot of lint kicking around in the top end. Is this really so bad?

3. Using a bit of hylomar around the camshaft seal and along the front mating surface of the top #1 bearing cap.

4. How do I check the setting of the PD rockers (One ground slightly smaller)?

Thanks
GS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts