VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am new to this VW community, in 2010 I purchase my first VW GTI, after having my two kids I need it a bigger car there my second purchase was a VW Jetta 2.5, last year the gas prices in California was drastically crazy spending almost 150 a week on gas,

after reading a on a few forums TDI gives 500 miles per tank I purchase a 2012 Sport wagon for 9000 I was happy with the miles I was getting, after a few months a nightmare becomes,

first the turbo broke, shotting oil on the DPF system, I replace the turbo, the DPF light remains on I was told that I need a new diesel particular filter, I been driving with a check engine light,

last moth it disaster becomes, the fuel pressure pump, I replace injectors some fuel lines, timing belt water pump and a bunch of other things, in order to get it done I needed to get a ross-tech cable, I found a guy on offerup and give him 150 for the cable he installed on my computer everything was working I reprogram the new injectors the next day when I was about to activate the fuel pump, didn't work, the license is been revoked, .

after all this drama and spending lots of money im giving up with my TDI I guess.

· Super Moderator
241 Posts
Hi kksniper, Tdi's are generally not the cheapest cars to maintain and do require regular maintenance that goes a little beyond the normal minimum of gasser cars. They can be very reliable but not without some common issues. I would not necessarily recommend a tdi to someone who either is not okay with higher maintenance cost or is not fairly good with a wrench and doing some of it themselves. I'm sorry to hear about the problems you have had with yours. It's too bad if after the money you've spent you still can't get on with driving it.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi kksniper, Tdi's are generally not the cheapest cars to maintain and do require regular maintenance that goes a little beyond the normal minimum of gasser cars. They can be very reliable but not without some common issues. I would not necessarily recommend a tdi to someone who either is not okay with higher maintenance cost or is not fairly good with a wrench and doing some of it themselves. I'm sorry to hear about the problems you have had with yours. It's too bad if after the money you've spent you still can't get on with driving it.
Thanks moonshot,
I actually did all the work on my own, all I need is a new, hex cable, or fix the one I have.

· Premium Member
253 Posts
Frustrating I’m sure.
Ross-tech VCDS is the diagnostics you need. $199 would give you 3 VIN licenses and if you sold/ traded any vehicles you can buy additional licenses. Or $299 for 10 licenses. Free software updates and trade-in for legacy equipment. So if you purchased an older, authentic, Ross-Tech interface, they will give you a discount for the new model (about $50). This is about the best future proof diagnostics out there. BUT, it does not work for USA big three or Asian brands.

Reactions: kksniper

· Super Moderator
241 Posts
Thanks moonshot,
I actually did all the work on my own, all I need is a new, hex cable, or fix the one I have.
Yes that hex cable will be the best money spent. good luck kksniper!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts