VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone :)

I've been a Diesel fan for a long time, but coming primarily from a hot rod/street rod background the only Diesel's I were exposed to were pick-up trucks with huge Cummins et al. The first Diesel I drove was a 1990-something Dodge Ram. The low RPM redline, massive torque, and lack of spark plugs was a new, different, and strangely fascinating world for me.

To be honest the VW Diesels weren't terribly interesting for me until VW came out with the CR TDI for '09 in the Jetta MkV. Reading that engines' specs for the first time had be fascinated once again, but not being a typical American, I'm a hatchback fan and wanted that Diesel in the Golf! Last year when the '10 Golf TDI hit the shores I had an opportunity to drive a Golf TDI DSG. I loved the combination of the chassis and engine, but wasn't bowled over by the DSG. I'm one of those 3-pedal fanatics ;) At the time I was close to ready for the next car, but not quite.

Late '09, I put an order in for a custom built '10 Golf TDI, but it wasn't meant to be. 2 months later the order still wasn't out of I.S. Order bank, and the dealer essentially gave me the cold shoulder if I'd get it anytime soon. I searched far and wide for a TDI in a configuration that I'd be willing to settle on, but I guess I'm picky and couldn't find it.

I went and drove a GTI and really liked the jazzed up interior, so much so that I found one configed how I liked and bit the bullet and bought it earlier this year. 10k miles later, I really like the car, and it's fantastic, but that Diesel itch is still there. I was chatting with a nice local VW salesman and he said that VW is importing a crap-load more TDI's for MY11 and that got me wondering if I could actually get one this year before the tax credit runs out. There just so happened to be a manual trans Golf TDI on their lot and he threw me the keys. I was floored; it was better than I ever expected. The engine note is amazing, the grunt is addicting, and the handling/seats/interior essentially identical to the GTI. I put the GTI up for sale, and as of a few days ago it seems I have a good buyer for the GTI. :panic:

I found a few Golf TDI's config'd exactly how I want that are already in-stock at two VW dealerships in Arizona. This wouldn't be the first time I've gone cross-country to get the car I wanted, and frankly I kinda like it that way as it makes for the perfect introductory road-trip. If all goes well, I'll have my 2nd VW but my 1st ever Diesel in a few weeks, and I'm starting to get genuinely excited about it. Reading through Fred's and chittychittybangbang's websites have been a huge help in learning all things Diesel, to get my brain aligned with the different philosophies of how the Diesel operates. The TDI will be my daily driver replacing the GTI. Since my commute is almost all Interstate, the TDI makes more sense for me versus the GTI. I won't miss the top-end power, I'll love the low-end torque and freeway passing grunt, and I know I'll really love the fuel economy. :D

Thanks for reading my short story, and I look forward to an illustrious Diesel relationship.
Cheers,
Ryan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The GTI is my daily right now and the Lotus is the fun & track car. The TDI will become my daily :)

Is that you in the Exige? It's an '06, I recognize the roof scoop.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Not me, I'm somewhat of a regular on a Nissan forum and the picture was from another regular. I would love to get an Elise or Exige but from what I hear they get rear ended easily. I think a Cayman would be a better fit for me and I'm not out to win races.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's strange, I've never heard of the Lotus being prone for rear-endings. Why would it? *shrug* I've been on the Lotus forums for 5 years now and haven't read any stories like that. Where did you hear about that, just curious.

The Cayman is a great car; it's kinda like the Exige with a layer of communication removed and a veneer of luxury added; making it more livable for most people but ultimately less fun, IMO. Personally, I'm crossing my fingers for VW to produce the Bluesport Roadster, that would be awesome!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I finally got it!

'11 Golf TDI: Reflex Silver, Dynaudio, Xenons, 9W7, CWP, and GPP. Did a mega road trip from Camelback VW in Phoenix, AZ back to Detroit, MI. 2350 miles and averaged 46.3 MPG. :)

If you haven't seen my road trip thread over on TDIClub, feel free to check it out, and then come back here :)

Cheers,
Ryan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts