VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Hello to all and Thank You for all the great advise and DIY posted here. My story began with the need of a feul efficent car for my work commute and a monthly 700+mile around trip between Houston and New Orleans. The addiction started with an 82 vw rabbit diesel that still needs work. Next come the 03 jetta tdi that was too nice to drive to work. The 01 jetta tdi, which needed a head gasket due to overheating, became my commuter with thanks to online DIY forums. And the lastest fix to my addiction is an 01 golf tdi. It has some issues (no heat and temp guage fluctuation) and maintainace (timingbelt and waterpump) that I'd like to before I begin to use it. Once the golf is up to par, the 01 jetta is requesting some attention (rear main seal leaking).

Is there any cure for this tdi addiction? I already have my eye a beetle tdi. When does the madness stop?:pukerofl

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And the madness continues! I have the opportunity the purchase another 01 tdi but questioning what's a good price for it. I’d greatly appreciate any and everyone's opinion on this. It’s an automatic beetle with 135,xxx miles on it. The body is in fair condition for its age (minor dents and scratches).

The bad: a blown head gasket and currently do not run

What would you be willing to pay for this car considering having to do a head gasket, timing belt, and waterpump (and whatever else may be discovered)?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The Beetle typically goes for less, the miles are very good on it, but the blown head gasket is strange. Why did the head gasket go? Are you sure it's not a failed timing belt? Just to replace the head gasket isn't too bad. The automatic is also not desirable because the reliability of those years 98-2003 is lower than later years. Price varies by region :)

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd initially thought in may have overheated but the seller insist that is not the case. I wonder if someone used the wrong coolant and it may have corroded the head gasket. The car is located in Louisiana. And I agree about the auto tranny but I have an aunt who could use it and refuse to learn how to drive 5sp. I'm just trying to get some around about figures of what it’s worth in its current state. I'm not trying to get screwed over nor screw over someone else.

·
Registered
482 Posts
$2000 sounds fair. You could get a good condition runner for $5000 so the labor + the risk, means it could be worth it. Don't forget that you have to get the car to your place.

Do you like your aunt :D Tell her to learn stick.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I love her to death but she will not drive a manual. Her willingness to clutch-shift, brake, gas, and drive is zero. That is a lost cause. I really want to do something for her to thank her for all she have done for me.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. I did it. Its an 2000 Beetle TDI. Now its time to is how deep the hole really is.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Ok. I did it. Its an 2000 Beetle TDI. Now its time to is how deep the hole really is.

:needpics: How bad is it?:eek

FYI, there is a writeup contest, if you want to document w/step by step pictures how to change the head gasket and measure piston protrusion, it will qualify for the writeup contest. The current writeup could use some improvement and more pics is always better than too few pics. It also lacks new beetle specific steps:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/cylinder-head-removal-ALH-TDI-engine.htm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts