VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I bought my 2011 Jetta TDI right before the news broke about the diesel scandal. I didn't hear about it until a few weeks after I bought the car. I fell in love with the car, though, so when they gave the option for buy back or fix I decided to go the fix route.

It's been an awesome ride but since then I have had to have the DPF replaced twice and the EGR and intake manifold serviced once each.

The first fix was under the extended emissions warranty but I paid out of pocket for the last one and the manifold service and now my service engine light is on again and I have the dreaded P2002 and P0401 codes again.

I haven't driven it much since that came on but the last time I did the glow plug light came on and the car went into limp mode so now I am scared to drive it. I also have black soot at the tail pipe.

I have read many forum posts and watched multiple videos on the subject trying to educate myself and I have come to the conclusion that these emission systems are pretty complicated and multiple things can cause the codes I am seeing. It sounds like the soot at the tail pipe is a definite sign of a cracked DPF if I am understanding what I have read.

I had considered selling the vehicle but I love the car and it is in great condition other than the DPF issue and it having 200k+ miles on it so I have decided to try to fix it myself based on the encouragement of so many posts I have read :)

As a side note I replaced the radiator about a month ago which I assume is why I am getting P0480 code. I need to double check the plug is seated on there.

I have access to a VCDS and below is the readings for the relevant codes and my current listed mileage and soot level.

Based on my research I assume I need to replace the DPF and the EGR (and EGR cooler?) unless those can be cleaned somehow and possibly clean the intake manifold unless you guys see something from the below that makes more sense.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mileage: 203364 Repair Order:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 01: Engine (03L 997 030 P)

16:36:38 Group 241: DPF Soot load
18 ml Particle Filter Oil Ash Volume
9.9 Soot Load(g) Calculated
3.9 Soot Load(g) Measured

16:36:38 Group 108: Diesel Particle Filter
18 ml Particle Filter Oil Ash Volume
Particle Filter Carbon Mass (spec.)
Particle Filter Carbon Mass (act.)

Address 01: Engine Labels: 03L-906-022-CBE.CLB
Control Module Part Number: 03L 997 030 P HW: 03L 906 019 DA
Component and/or Version: R4 2.0l TDI G000AG 9983
Software Coding: 0050078
Work Shop Code: WSC 64109 003 1048576
VCID: 3B233A68BF6F7FD3DAD-806E
3 Faults Found:

008194 - Particulate Trap Bank 1
P2002 - 007 - Efficiency Below Threshold
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100111
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 4
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 325112 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2063.14.31
Time: 07:42:25

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2231 /min
Speed: 114.0 km/h
(no units): 96.9
(no units): 35.7
(no units): 2.75
Pressure: 267 mbar
Pressure: 69 mbar

001025 - EGR System
P0401 - 001 - Insufficient Flow - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100001
Fault Frequency: 15
Mileage: 325126 km
Date: 2063.14.31
Time: 07:50:48

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2346 /min
Speed: 119.0 km/h
Voltage: 13.83 V
Load: 95.7 %
Load: 100.0 %
Mass Air / Rev.: 410.0 mg/str
Mass Air / Rev.: 410.0 mg/str

001152 - Coolant Fan Control Circuit 1
P0480 - 000 - Electrical Malfunction - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 325462 km

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 0 /min
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Temperature: 20.7°C
Temperature: 23.4°C
Temperature: 20.7°C
Lambda: 9.5 %
Lambda: 0.0 %

Readiness: 0 2 0 0 0

· Registered
22 Posts
I was getting those same (2) error codes on my 2001 TDI JSW. After taking apart the EGR and ASV and cleaning them out, the p2002 code remained. After continued extended driving as recommended, the DPF cleaned itself out and the CEL is now off.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was getting those same (2) error codes on my 2001 TDI JSW. After taking apart the EGR and ASV and cleaning them out, the p2002 code remained. After continued extended driving as recommended, the DPF cleaned itself out and the CEL is now off.
Good to know, freshapple. What did you use to clean them out? I read DPF cleaner works well.

· Registered
22 Posts
I think I used carb and choke cleaner on the EGR and ASV. After watching a few videos, I figured it was easy enough to do. They are not too hard to remove and clean if you are handy. The long bolt that goes in at the rear is the hardest part of the process.

· Registered
4 Posts
I had a similar issue with a cracked/failed DPF that clogged the EGR filter and similar error codes. If you clean out the EGR tube, it will eventually clog again because the DPF is cracked. Replacing or deleting the DPF will eventually be required if you want a permanent solution.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a similar issue with a cracked/failed DPF that clogged the EGR filter and similar error codes. If you clean out the EGR tube, it will eventually clog again because the DPF is cracked. Replacing or deleting the DPF will eventually be required if you want a permanent solution.
Thanks for the reply, the more I read the more it sounds like that is what I am looking at. I think I am going to go ahead and order the DPF and EGR filter and then the EGR valve, etc.

Btw, I was looking at the EGR Filters and there is apparently two versions that are interchangeable. I don't know which one is on mine at the moment but there is a pretty big cost difference. Any experience/recommendation on whether I am good to just get the cheaper one? The website (idparts.com) and the forum article about it seems to indicate either will work. Just wondering if one is better than the other?

· Registered
4 Posts
My mk6 jetta had the cheaper version of the EGR filters. I think they installed the cheaper version when it was fixed for the emissions recall. Probably because it is easier to install because you do not have to worry about the bracket and nut right below the turbo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts