VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my '11 Jetta Highline windshield washer isn't working. I think it is because the washer fluid is freezing up, but I though the car comes with heated nozzles to prevent this?

Car was manufactured in October, and the dealer said the fluid came pre-filled.... think they would have put in summer fluid?

After having the car parked in my heated garage for a few hours, the washer fluid comes out normally...

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
Well I suppose this will depend where you live obviously Canada has a colder winter climate than most so they may fit them as standard there. In the UK you have to opt for or buy the winter pack which has headlight washers, heated front seats, heated windscreen washer jets and low washer fluid warning light for £365.

If you lift you bonnet/hood on mine you will see the washer pipe going into the bonnet through a grommet. I have an extra hole in my grommet which I think will be for the heating wires if I had heated washer jets, See if you have wires as well as the pipe? ;)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
It's standard on Canadian highline. Good idea about checking for the wiring. If you have heated nozzles there are 2 lines, one for fluid and one for heater.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not sure about Canadian versions but US versions with "Cold Weather Package" link heated front nozzles to heated mirror switch. To heat up your front nozzles, you need to turn the heated side mirrors on for a bit.

Wagons link rear heated nozzle to rear defroster operation.

Hope this helps.

P.

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
Heated rears as well Paul, you learn something new everyday. ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure about Canadian versions but US versions with "Cold Weather Package" link heated front nozzles to heated mirror switch. To heat up your front nozzles, you need to turn the heated side mirrors on for a bit.

Hope this helps.

P.
Hmm... I am pretty sure I had the heated mirror switch on... but the temp here is warmed up quite a bit so I'll have to try again over the weekend when the temp is expected to fall again.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem. The washer fluid in the bucket froze but the nozzles were clear,thus heated nozzles were working but drawing from frozen wiper fluid in the tank. as soon as I thawed out the washer bucket and purged through -30 rated fluid in front and back nozzles, all was fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, had the same issue today -30 and no washer fluid, and I had put some -40 stuff in. Anyway, just tossed in 2L worth of -40 stuff, for some reason last time it didn't take that much when I filled it last time.

And I had the mirror switch all the way to the right, basically on the oposit side of the L dot R mirror ones.

I hope it works tomorrow, it will be -22 :)

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hope this helps.

P.
Could you tell me which car use the rear heated nozzle??

Thank you. :+1

·
Registered
439 Posts
Well, had the same issue today -30 and no washer fluid, and I had put some -40 stuff in. Anyway, just tossed in 2L worth of -40 stuff, for some reason last time it didn't take that much when I filled it last time.

And I had the mirror switch all the way to the right, basically on the oposit side of the L dot R mirror ones.

Mirror switch has to be at the 12 o'clock position I believe to heat the side mirrors. When you say no washer fluid do you mean bottle was empty or not coming out the nozzles ? If empty you obviously have a leak. If no leak then it may take a while for the -40 stuff to thaw the frozen stuff at the bottom of the reservoir.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Mirror switch has to be at the 12 o'clock position I believe to heat the side mirrors. When you say no washer fluid do you mean bottle was empty or not coming out the nozzles ? If empty you obviously have a leak. If no leak then it may take a while for the -40 stuff to thaw the frozen stuff at the bottom of the reservoir.
I think that Hellfire is correct: the mirror heater is activated when the switch is rotated to the right, the 3 o'clock position, towards the front of the car.

Didn't realize that this activated the washer nozzle heaters though. Good to know!

·
Premium Member
77 Posts

You guys may have more beef and oil then you know what to do with but sweet JEEBUS is it cold out there...:)

Could be that the fluid is freezing in the lines downstream of the nozzle heaters...bummer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You guys may have more beef and oil then you know what to do with but sweet JEEBUS is it cold out there...:)

Could be that the fluid is freezing in the lines downstream of the nozzle heaters...bummer.
I think it was just ****ty washer fluid as this week when we were getting down to -45 with the wind I use it once and it worked. Used the -40 or -45 rated stuff - but of course it still kinda freezes on your windshield a bit. Also had the heated mirrors on.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think that Hellfire is correct: the mirror heater is activated when the switch is rotated to the right, the 3 o'clock position, towards the front of the car.

Didn't realize that this activated the washer nozzle heaters though. Good to know!
Wouldn't that be the 12 o'clock positon?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts